Unable to remove Vista and install XP Sony VAIO FZ140E

Status
Not open for further replies.

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Hi,

I ended up buying a Sony VAIO FZ140E which came with Vista. I was not expecting to face any problems and I inserted my genuine XP CD in the DVD drive and started the system.... Everything appeared to be working as it does when you are installing XP on a new machine UNTIL i got a windows which basically said that no internal drives can be found... and press F3 to exit.

Am I now stuck with Vista? I don't want it, hate it, and want XP on my Laptop. Can someone PLEASE help.

Thanks.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
No worries. DON'T UNINSTALL XP. All you have to do is go into your BIOS and change your SATA settings. By default, it's probably set up to AHCI. Change it to IDE or ATA.

Viola! XP boots!

Hope that helps!

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Many thanks krazynutz. I'll try that. BTW,if it works will I be able to install the drivers which I have downloaded from Sony's site) and be able to use everything without any problem?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
that depends on whether or not Sony is providing all drivers for the hardware under Windows XP. If they have XP drivers for all the parts of your laptop, then you're golden. Vista drivers will definitely NOT work for XP.

Good luck!

HateVista

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I just bought a Sony VAIO VGN-NR310E with Intel T2370 Dual-core processor and Windows Vista preinstalled on it. I shrank the original partition and installed a new partition and tried to install Windows Xp as dual boot(it wasn't easy because SATA hard drive changes cannot be made in the BIOS, so had to slipstream some SATA AHCI drivers using nlite before the hard disks could be recognized. THe installation of XP was uneventful and I selected the usual regional setting and username etc. When the computer restarting it showed the usual window of XP but a few seconds after that went completely blank and restarted. So, after an apparent normal installation, XP just does not start!! Any suggestions ??!!

G

hi,i too cannot able to install win XP professional on my sony vaio VGN-AR61E laptop having windows vista home premium.whn i try to install disk not found error comes and ask to press F3 to exit.there is no option in bios to change the drive settings to make it SATA.plz help me out.i dont want vista on my system

mascoo7

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
hello sir,
i have a leptop sony vaio vgn-fz140e, is having window vista home premium, i donot want this so plz help me for changing my window vista to xp. bcz i want xp and when i load xp than it show f3 to exit. plz help me out , i don't want vista

frozenlead

Distinguished
Why don't you want Vista? Unless you have a specific program or some peice of hardware that lacks a driver... there's no reason to choose XP over Vista. Vista is stable and generally more powerful. If you're just going on the hearsay that 'Vista is crap', you should know times have changed - Vista is an excellent OS and mostly a pleasure to work with.

sacramentopine

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

It is nasty to combine Vista Home with network. Vista Business can do it, but all told, I much prefer the straightforward effort of XP.

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Does anyone know which key needs to be pressed (at the time of starting the laptop) to go into the BIOS settings. The laptop is Sony Vaio FZ140E

G

Dude, Run your finger over all the function keys (F1-F12) at startup plus the Delete Key and you should be able to enter the bios if you are unsure as it depends on which manufacturer has created the BIOS. - Robert

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
i havent read the replies but i guess none of them give you a solution, these guys here act like they know but they dont know ***.

anyway you're problem is either very simple or very impossible, you're using a perticular hard drive which doesn't support the rai on xp, to start go to the laptop bios menu and disable "RAID" or anything that's to deal with it. this will allow xp cd to find your hard drive.

if that doesnt work, there is 1 more try, its to get the RAID drivers from Sony website for that hard drive "if its still original HD from the laptop" those drivers you copy them into a floppy disk "external floppy because laptops dont have floppy drives" and then when you start installing xp hit F6 anyway it tells you in the bottom bar to hit f6 to install 3rd party drivers. the rest is easy just follow instructions

those raid drivers will be installed on your bios ship and then xp will find your hard drive. and then you can do the rest.

WARNING: IF THE SONY WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE DRIVERS FOR XP FOR YOUR LAPTOP ON THEIR WEBSITE IT MEANS FORGET ABOUT USING XP ON YOUR LAPTOP

goldcds

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

I guess there are some people that like Vista but to me it is a horrible frustrating and really painfully SLOWWWWWWWWW OS. Bought wife Sony Vaio and it is horrible. Read an article to reinstall Vista and download new drivers from Sony and it should help but it has not. I even boosted memory to 4GB and very little help. I will buy her a Mac and turn her Vaio into a Ubuntu machine, it is really fast when Linux is loaded.

I HATE VISTA WITH A PASSION, even Stevie GoldenBoy Ballmer said Vista is a failure.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you have to use sony's restore cd. Sony is extremely proprietary and the only OS you can use is the sony's restore disk. If you go in the bios you'll notice the drive is disabled. You can try and enable it but upon booting up it just gets disabled again.

Once you use the sony restore disc you'll notice it just boots right up like normal. One thing I hate about sony the most is this.

I know this because I ran into this problem on a Sony and my employer at the time had to purchase a restore disc for that particular sony model to get the OS installed because we had to replace the drive.

I would suggest for anyone having this problem to call up sony and ask them to send you a restore disc to work on the sony. It's only like 10 bucks it's not much.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

hacking is always fun i'll have to save this link :)

zahir

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
i hav formatted my my orignal vista nd installed vista ultimate in my sony vaio laptop. it isn't working and i hav lost my web cam drivers. what should i do please suggest me some help so that i get connect to my web cam

Status
Not open for further replies.