Unbelievable Acer Aspire BIOS password issue, solve this and you're better than me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Morton

Estimable
Mar 11, 2015
Unbelievable Acer Aspire BIOS password issue, solve this and you're better than me!!!

Acer Aspire 5820T-354G32Mnks

I have a laptop on my bench with a BIOS password that I do not know; this is courtesy of a friendly scammer with an eastern accent purporting to be from Microsoft. At boot the BIOS screen flashes into view and is followed, a fraction of a second later, by a password entry field.

I tried clearing the BIOS in the usual way, removing both the main battery and the CR2032, I also shorted the CR2032 contacts for good measure, but to no avail. I've Google'd around the issue extensively and tried many of the tips and tricks referred to in the various threads, but to no avail.

In the end I ordered in a BIOS chip from Holland via eBay. I have good soldering skills and swapping the chip out went exactly as planned. When I power up the new chip seems to work, but I'm still asked for a password!!!

I made the assumption that the password would be stored in the BIOS chip, but if that is the case for this machine then replacing the chip should have cleared the password.

The motherboard number is DAZR7BMB8E0 REV:E.

Does anybody know where this motherboard stores the password? If it's now stored in the BIOS chip then where, and how do I clear it? I'm really puzzled, I've been a tech for years and dealt with issues such as this many times before. Also I'm loath to let this one go.

Any suggestions would be greatly received and considered.

Regards

Alan the frustrated one...

Status
Not open for further replies.