Solved! Under powering my Subwoofer

benhealey96

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
I am in the process of building a portable 12v battery powered boombox. I am using a cheap 2.1 channel amplifier board, "KKmoon TPA3116D2", with 2x50 watt left and right channels and a 100 watt subwoofer channel. I need the subwoofer to be 10 inches, however, i cannot find a 10 inch subwoofer with an rms rating of 100watts. I was thinking of using a Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer however it has an rms rating of 350 watts. will this be ok to use or will i end up destroying the subwoofer from under powering it?

Solution
well, every time you lower the volume, you reduce power, even with a 1000W amplifier. Just have a look that the sub won´t get into clipping and you will be fine.
If you turn up volume so high, that the amp won´t produce a good signal any more because of "just" 100W, it would hurt the sub.

benhealey96

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

Hi helpstar, thanks for the reply. I have read online, however, that under powering a speaker can be more dangerous than overpowering one due to clipping the amplifier. It never specifies how much you can under power a speaker under its rms power rating before this becomes an issue though.

well, every time you lower the volume, you reduce power, even with a 1000W amplifier. Just have a look that the sub won´t get into clipping and you will be fine.
If you turn up volume so high, that the amp won´t produce a good signal any more because of "just" 100W, it would hurt the sub.

Solution

benhealey96

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

ok i think i understand now, thanks for the help! i just hope i can get a decent amount of volume from the 350w sub with the 100w amp without having to crank it all the way up till the point where it produces a bad signal.

benhealey96

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from benhealey96 : "Under powering my Subwoofer"

Hi! I am in the process of building a portable 12v battery powered boombox. I am using a cheap 2.1 channel amplifier board, "KKmoon TPA3116D2", with 2x50 watt left and right channels and a 100 watt subwoofer channel. I need the subwoofer to be 10 inches, however, i cannot find a 10 inch subwoofer with an rms rating of 100watts. I was thinking of using a Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer however it has an rms rating of 350 watts. will this be ok to use? Will that amp be powerful enough to get a decent volume from the subwoofer or will i end up destroying the subwoofer from under powering it?

benhealey96

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

Thanks for the reply ien2222, cool ok thats all i was worried about really, thanks for the help!