Underlying hum from audio mixer

Dominic-10

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
I seem to always have an underlying hum/static in the background of my audio. It's not coming from any individual channel, and I use ground loop isolators already.

I've included an audio source link below if anyone is willing to listen. It's -54db, and not too prominent. It's not a massive deal, but it would be very satisfying to remedy.

Audio sample:
https://clyp.it/5dnx0knx

My fear is it's a power issue and I'd need a UPS Power Supply or maybe a Power Conditioner? I read an Amazon review recently that stated the following:

nuV3But.png

Audio Gear:
Microphone - Shure SM7B
Mic Preamp - Cloudlifter CL-1
Headset - Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Mixer - Mackie ProFX8V2
Compressor - Behringer MDX4600

Thanks for taking the time.

ComputerGuy55

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Hello Dominic,

If I may ask, is this a Desktop computer or a Laptop?

I only ask because my dad was having problems with an Acer laptop he owned for months and was trying to figure out what was causing this hum/static when ever he connected up to use his sound mixer. After awhile he figured out that it was because of the power cord, while unplugged there was no hum, while plugged in there was.

He finally figured out it was because of the reverse polarity, and I believe this might be the issue you are running into, I am by NO means an audio buff, my father was phenomenal at it, running sound for lots of different things around here.

Please feel free to give this article a read and see if it helps you with your issue, in the article it does mention that it can cause noise between 50/60Hz

Dominic-10

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

Thanks for the reply. It's a computer and not a laptop.

The article mostly suggests for a ground loop isolator which is something I already use for the 3.5mm connection from my mixer to PC. The hum/noise is present even with all cables disconnected from my mixer besides the power and USB.