Uniquely identifying hundreds of cameras

progenez

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015
Hello,

I have the over 200 of the same camera and I am trying to somehow create an automated process where I plug the USB port into the laptop and it automatically identifies that specific unique camera and transfers the photos to a specific folder in the computer.

I would need some way of having writing something on the root directory of an SD card or somehow linking all ~200 cameras to 200 different folders so that the folder is only recognized when that specific card is read from the camera.

Potentially there are other ways of doing this also, so I would take any advice or suggestions.

The camera is a Nikon COOLPIX s3700.

I have already tried renaming the folders within the cameras and I have come to the conclusion this won't work (e.g. 100NIKON-999NIKON)

Thanks for any and all help.

Put a file with the camera serial number or whatever you want on the SD card, but with the same extention or some series of same number.
Write a script that will read that file name of the disk storage that comes up when you connect the computer.

Something like "If exist D:\%123.txt (where % would end up as the unique number you give to the file on that camera) set Y= %123 then MD C:\CameraFiles\Y ; Copy D:\*.jpg C:\CameraFiles\Y".

Keep in mind that is not the correct script to do this with but a sample of what the logic for one would look like. Look for the file on the SD card, then name a directory based on that file, then copy the pictures from the proper location on the card to that directory. You'll have to use wildcards for the unique numbers when you read them and place them in the wildcard spot, you can use VBscript for this.