Universal to Release Blu-ray/DVD Combo Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Exactly my thoughts! I blasted the tech Gods the day Toshiba announced they were bowing out of the HD war. I just new if Sony won it would take 4ever before the prices came down or the adoption of BR because of its high cost. Betamax finally won after all these years.

SIGH!

G

I wouldn't exactly call them 'future proof' seeing as how movies-on-disc are rapidly becoming obsolete. By the time Blu-Ray drive, player, and media prices drop enough to snuff out DVDs, people will already be streaming movies or storing downloaded movies on portable storage devices.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Here is a thought for all of you.
I won a OPPO DVD 1080p upsampling player and a Panasonic 42" plasma 1080p display.
This is what I did:
Got my friend to bring over his PS3 and hooked it up via hdmi
Brought home 10,000BC on DVD and on blu-ray
played both doing an A-B test
RESULTS OF TEST
both looked great and on blu-ray i saw maybe 125% more resolution
was amazed at how good the oppo dvd upsample held out against blu-ray
BOTTOM LINE
no blu-ray for me.i am sticking with dvd until blu-ray is the same price as a dvd is now.
Screw Sony !!!

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
You are missing the point of PS3.
PS3 is not just a blu-ray player. For $300, it gives you blu-ray player, internet browser and a game console

Your Oppo DVD just plays movies...

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]You are missing the point of PS3.PS3 is not just a blu-ray player. For $300, it gives you blu-ray player, internet browser and a game consoleYour Oppo DVD just plays movies...[/citation]

1)How many are using their PS3 for browsing? And how many tthat have used it didnt find it frustrating and inconvinient for a console thing to do?
2)Before its recent pricedrop whoever wanted a console and NOT a BR Player why had to pay about 500$ for a console with nothing special? ( like i said before the pricedrop )
3) Why be forced to upgrade to BDs if they dont want to or pay any more than the usual DVDs just for "futureproof"? Talking about futureproof when it coms from a company like Sony is ironic since its contradicting their own move of forcing a whole new format in a console in the first place. Dont you think?

[citation][nom]o0RaidR0o[/nom]Exactly my thoughts! I blasted the tech Gods the day Toshiba announced they were bowing out of the HD war. I just new if Sony won it would take 4ever before the prices came down or the adoption of BR because of its high cost. Betamax finally won after all these years. SIGH![/citation]

More or less i felt the same when that happened.Sony has always been one expensive ass mofo with bad services and slow price adjustments. You dont even wanna knowhow much ive spent personally over the past years. Amen for Samsung HDTVs. And if it wasnt for MS this time around with an xbox PS3 would be so SO much more expensive and you know it.

Here in Greece the cheapest BD costs about 8 Euros. Thats about 12$. 100$ for 8 BDs... lol Are they fn serious? STILL?!

invalid777

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]You are missing the point of PS3.PS3 is not just a blu-ray player. For $300, it gives you blu-ray player, internet browser and a game consoleYour Oppo DVD just plays movies...[/citation]

I think his point was that there isn't a need for him to upgrade as the quality is negligible (for him) and he already has both a TV and DVD player that takes advantage of it.

I loved the idea of the "flipper" discs when they first came out. For a $10 DVD I'd be willing to pay $15 (50% price increase) for a "flipper" disc.

I see this idea flopping. As the story said, unless there is an immediate gain, i.e. being able to watch it in high def, those with regular dvd players won't even consider it. Plus, those with blu-ray players aren't going to pay extra for a standard version.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
It's quite tiring hearing another person say an upscaled DVD is as good as a 1080P picture (HD-DVD or Blu-ray). It isn't. If you say you can't see the difference either you have bad eye-sight or are telling lies.
It's like sticking a cheap hamburger in your mouth and telling me it's the same as a fine steak.
Yes your burger may be made of beef and is of the same size, just like the steak, but it is padded out with offal and offcuts. Yes your upscaled DVD picture might be 1080p/i but it it's padded out with lines that your device guesstimates.
You might well be satiated, but let's not fool ourselves that your cheap burger is the same as a fine steak.

leon2006

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
These type of discs are more expensive. I don't need it as i stop buying DVD. There is no sense of buying DVD if i can purchase Blue-Ray disc from $12 to $16. If you are clever you can purchase new releases for $19.00.

There is no need for this double sided disc.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
It's not so much of a question about the improved quality of Blu-Ray, it's ultimately a question of whether that improved quality is worth the much-higher pricetag. I'm more of the opinion that BR is still way too costly (and overrated) for what it offers - especially considering you have to have a decent-sized HTDV & a good audio system to fully take advantage of what Blu-Ray is capable of.

Upsampling DVD Players can do a good job in improving DVD movies. Granted, it's not bringing the quality up to BR standards, but it's considerably cheaper to purchase, not to mention you don't need to replace your entire DVD Library. That cheaper cost, with the current economy, is what many people consider is more important than squeezing a little extra quality out of your entertainment system..

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]leon2006[/nom]These type of discs are more expensive. I don't need it as i stop buying DVD. There is no sense of buying DVD if i can purchase Blue-Ray disc from $12 to $16. If you are clever you can purchase new releases for $19.00.There is no need for this double sided disc.[/citation]

I was waiting for someone to point this out. You may recall when Universal did this with HD-DVD, the combo discs cost about $10 more than the normal HD-DVD movies.

Additionally, there was a big problem with manufacturing process of the combo discs. Many copies' HD side were not playable, skipped or froze at some point into the movie. I remember having to return at least two different movies for this reason. BD fanboys mocked HD-DVD supporters for coming up with solutions such as holding the disc over steam/boiling water to clean the disc in the hopes it became playable.

G

Upscaled DVD's are good, there is no doubt, not up to the level of a blu-ray, but still good. If that is all you want then there is no point in blowing another wedge on a BD player.

Personally I like having a blu-ray copy and a dvd copy, if for nothing else at least I can rip the dvd copy to my iPhone which I can't with the blu-ray.

And I can watch the dvd in the car...

peteve

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
a few good points have been made here.

first, padding (upscaling) is NOT as good as the true 1080p movie. transcoding (as it is called) is never as good. and the compare between a hamburger and steak was a great one. same size, but the quality of taste (in this case...eye taste) are different.

second, while the manufacturing may cause issues, the idea of both are a great idea. i have a HTPC with bluray but my other sets in my house do not have bluray. economically, it doesn't work. and so my truck and other tv sets in my house have dvd players. all of which my kids use.

please everyone needs to realize that there is never a setup on any topic that fits for all people. but this one does have its place for some, but obviously not everyone. i welcome more options. and that's what this is...an option. you don't have to buy this one, buy the dvd only one or the bd one only. but for me, a double sided would be a good buy. it's all about options.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Ha, this coming from the company that sealed the fate of HD-DVD by taking the blood money Sony and the entire Blu-Ray Forum gave em. Sorry but I refuse to pay for anything (i rent) from these blood suckers. They've wasted my money too many times and I have too, buying into their retarded belief that they are doing the world's consumers a favor.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I think PS3/Blu-ray supporters are missing the point when someone says that upscaling is just as effective. Obviously, its not a RAW (well then again either is MPEG-2, Mpeg4, VC-1, which is WHAT ALL BLU-RAY's in 1080p are, compressed) 1080p picture. The point they are trying to make is, for all the money (which is easily over $300+ dollars for just about every DVD supportin family) they have spent on their library. The little 40 dollar UPCONVERTING DVD player makes it good enough. They don't have to go out and purchase a $100+ Blu-Ray player and they don't have to replace their $300 libraby, which will easily costs them $600 dollars doing so. Their $40 UPCONVERTING DVD player does enough. Sure I get it, you own a blu-ray player (i own an HD-DVD player) and you can see a difference and blah blah blah. Thats great, but the point is, if I want a crisper image (because thats ALL Blu-Ray/HD-DVD do) a quality upconverting player has more value to most people then a new technology.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Combo format discs or combo format packages (Like Disney release) are a good idea. For me, I get a Blu-ray copy I can use when I'm at home, and if I'm on the go with the laptop or at a friend's place who doesn't have a Blu-ray player, I can just slide in the normal DVD and watch that. Also, there's the advantage of being able to start your Blu-ray collection before you've finally picked up that fancy new player.

The only thing I kind of object to with a single combo disc versus the combo package would be the possibilities of smearing one side could be higher, so I do prefer the two disc package over the single disc combo.

Finally, to the upconversion drum beaters: You like regular DVD's. We have no problem with that. We like Blu-ray, so what's the big deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.