Unlocked phones and virgin mobile

FrostyIsMe

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015
Ok so I heard that unlocked phones are phones that you put your old phone sim's card in it so you keep the old phone's plan right?

So I was wondering where can I find phones that will work when I put my virgin mobile sim card in? I dont know much about that stuff.

Thanks

Solution
Sounds like a plan. The frequencies check out.

I just quickly double-checked your SIM size, and it's the right size already.

As far as accessories go, especially if you don't have a ton to spare. Here's my set formula:
eBay.ca
--> Free shipping
--> Buy it now
--> Worldwide

You will be able to get a case for a few dollars, some MicroUSB cables if you need them, and screen protectors if that floats your boat. I can usually outfit my phone with everything I need for less than $10 combined. NEVER pay full price for these items!

One thing you should note in making your decision however, this seller is not Amazon.ca, therefore, you may wish to check their restocking policies. I'm sure you'll like the phone, but err on the side of caution...

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012

Under the operating assumption that you're Canadian, you have a few options.
To have your phone work on Virgin Mobile, it must support a certain frequency (it can support more, but this is the minimum): 850/1900mhz.

Most phones you find can do this without issue, but always doublecheck. A good reference is GSMArena.com or Wikipedia, both should list this frequency.

From there, you will need to find a phone that you like - shameless plug here, I work at Staples, but we sell a good selection of mobile phones that are unlocked by default. If you prefer, many companies also sell such phones, but be careful to avoid chinese "Grey market" phones, as they're called.

If you want some really solid unlocked options, I would suggest the Oneplus One, Oneplus Two, the upcoming Oneplus X, the Moto X Play, one of the Nexus 5X or 6P, or a phone from Oppo. These are all fairly good options. BLU makes some decent phones too, if OS upgrades aren't a concern for you, check them out.

FrostyIsMe

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

Ok so, I was right? apart from what you said, I only have to snap in the unlocked phone my Sim card?

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012

Well, glossing over those details, yes. Keep in mind if you have an older sim, it may not fit, and you may need a new one. A micro can be filed down to a nano sim however (though, if it comes to this, you are better to check and see if Virgin happens to have a sim cutter handy).

But yes, in principle, if you have an unlocked phone that accepts the right frequencies, you need only pop in your existing SIM and the world of cellular wonders will be opened to you.

FrostyIsMe

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

Hee is the phone I would like to buy:

http://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Studio-Plus-Unlocked-Black/dp/B00SZEFDQO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446941890&sr=1-2&keywords=Blu+studio+X

Since I am not rich (Im a teenager)

I needed a phone to test My games that I develop, These arent Heavy 3d games but 2d games.

and here idk by just looking at it you can tell if its an old or a new sd card but here so pictures of mine:

https://i.gyazo.com/418d2e5b6bda395500a9b64b3297536d.png
https://i.gyazo.com/9980a52316971fd60802d8096998a23d.png

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
Sounds like a plan. The frequencies check out.

I just quickly double-checked your SIM size, and it's the right size already.

As far as accessories go, especially if you don't have a ton to spare. Here's my set formula:
eBay.ca
--> Free shipping
--> Buy it now
--> Worldwide

You will be able to get a case for a few dollars, some MicroUSB cables if you need them, and screen protectors if that floats your boat. I can usually outfit my phone with everything I need for less than $10 combined. NEVER pay full price for these items!

One thing you should note in making your decision however, this seller is not Amazon.ca, therefore, you may wish to check their restocking policies. I'm sure you'll like the phone, but err on the side of caution and make sure you know if they charge a restocking fee should you need to return it.

I've answered your questions I hope, so perhaps you would reciprocate:
You mentioned development... what are you using/doing with it? I'm just curious.
Also, because I know random things, perhaps this'll tickle your fancy:
https://stacksocial.com/sales/free-android-bundle

Bunch of free lifetime materials on Android coding, including some game content :)

Solution

FrostyIsMe

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

Hey man I really appreciate the time you took to help me out! Btw the phone includes a case and screen protector so Thats a + :p

I am using Unity 5 Personal edition