Unlocking the BIOS in an Acer laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2018
Hello, I've got an Acer Aspire V5-121 laptop, I replaced the HDD in it with an SSD but the computer doesn't see it at all. I read it's either because the BIOS needs updating or I need to switch between EUFI/Legacy modes.
But apparently the BIOS' advanced functins are locked so I'm trying to unlock it using this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYhFqDBdlDQ but I'm not sure if it's safe?

I also tried putting the BIOS update from Acers website on to a pendrive and update from there but the laptop just ignores it and keeps trying to boot.

Any help would be appreciated. For reference, here's how the BIOS currently looks https://imgur.com/a/KsBok

Solution
No you wont unlock anything useful. Just update your bios from manufactor site to newest, i checked its 2.12 version

Bios update from acer site wont work since looks like they only added flasher which needs windows not msdos. I think making bootable dos with exact flasher is more complicated in this situation. Put back your HDD (which should have still windows?) and use 2.12 update LATEST downloaded from acer site. Disable firewall and antivirus in windows while doing this and remeber to use both battery and power cable when doing it.

If you erased hdd already just install windows to it again and flash bios

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
No you wont unlock anything useful. Just update your bios from manufactor site to newest, i checked its 2.12 version

Bios update from acer site wont work since looks like they only added flasher which needs windows not msdos. I think making bootable dos with exact flasher is more complicated in this situation. Put back your HDD (which should have still windows?) and use 2.12 update LATEST downloaded from acer site. Disable firewall and antivirus in windows while doing this and remeber to use both battery and power cable when doing it.

If you erased hdd already just install windows to it again and flash bios

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.