Unresponsive laptop touchpad

LMAOnovo

Prominent
May 12, 2017
My touchpad has become unresponsive. It rarely moves the cursor, and only right button works. Someone told me that the cause of this was the spilled water with soap on my keyboard. I don't know... I have a separate mouse, but what troubles me is the fear of more parts becoming broken. Please help.

Solution
Touchpad not working? Try the following and see if it fixes it...

1. Go into "Control Panel".
2. Click "Hardware and Sound".
3. Now click "Mouse and Touchpad".
4. Now go to "Additional mouse options".
5. The Mouse Properties window will open. In here click on your device.
6. Make sure your device is set to enabled. If it isn't then click "Enable Device".
7. Exit both that screen and "Control Panel".

Also, you might want to check for updates to your drivers, including the Synaptics drivers.

If this does not help, and an external mouse works fine, then it may well be a hardware issue.
Touchpad not working? Try the following and see if it fixes it...

1. Go into "Control Panel".
2. Click "Hardware and Sound".
3. Now click "Mouse and Touchpad".
4. Now go to "Additional mouse options".
5. The Mouse Properties window will open. In here click on your device.
6. Make sure your device is set to enabled. If it isn't then click "Enable Device".
7. Exit both that screen and "Control Panel".

Also, you might want to check for updates to your drivers, including the Synaptics drivers.

If this does not help, and an external mouse works fine, then it may well be a hardware issue.

Solution
I prefer a "proper" mouse to a touchpad anyway, use one all the time on my laptop & any laptop that comes to me for fixing, even if the touchpad works 100% I hate them, they slow me down. I'm somebody who's been using a mouse for over 20 years, much more intuitive and definitely faster for me.