Unsupported content on Sony Bravia KDL-40W605B

mommycat

Estimable
Mar 19, 2015
I download films to my WD TV (My Passport) external drive from my HP PC (Windows 10, Chrome) which I then plug in with USB to my Sony Bravia KDL-40W605B). Most files play with no problem (including subtitles which I download also and fit to the film). But other files I get "Unsupported Content" and black out. How do I know which files my Bravia supports and which not, and how can I correct this?

Solution
Update:
HANDBRAKE can build up a queue as well. So once you figure out the best profile, you can DRAG on the next file, then say "add to queue" and once that's done start the conversion process.

(may need to select "prevent sleeping while encoding", and default is "below normal" by default I believe so you can probably GAME with minimal issues)
1) See manual for supported content.
(even if it supports "H264" video the profile may only be "MAIN")

2) Handbrake:
Get any video, then experiment yourself to see what works. Start with this:
- MP4
- H264
- NORMAL (on right)
- anamorphic (none)
- filters (ignore)
- H264
- variable (almost always)
- bitrate 1000Kbps or higher (i.e. 6000Kbps for HD movies roughly)
- 2-pass
- optimize-> medium
- H264 level-> 4.0
- AAC

Play around with that.

3) Better media device:
My WD TV LIVE HUB was truly awesome until a lightning storm killed it. Then they stopped making media players and most have very limited support. For example the ROKU, Amazon, BD/DVD players... anything mainstream probably has limited support as it reduces tech support.

I'm currently investigating something like THIS:
http://www.minix.us/Products.htm?gclid=CI-I6KX4rs4CFQKTaQodwVEBOw

It seems open source software, AND a media chip capable of good hardware decode (maybe H265 too) is the best path forward.

Possibly the Minix U1, though I'd really love a remote control with a microphone. Some software supports adding devices though like KODI so we'll see.

I also need NETFLIX to be easy to access.

(I use a WD MY CLOUD which is attached to the router so all devices can access it. That's overkill for light usage though. Probably reconverting with HANDBRAKE is the best way to go)

4) MKVtoolnix:
I use this to remux. Example:
a) drag in video
b) select files to keep (maybe uncheck subs and secondary audio I don't want from my cough legally purchased videos)
c) mux the video

Update:
HANDBRAKE can build up a queue as well. So once you figure out the best profile, you can DRAG on the next file, then say "add to queue" and once that's done start the conversion process.

(may need to select "prevent sleeping while encoding", and default is "below normal" by default I believe so you can probably GAME with minimal issues)

Solution