Solved! Unusual Black Screen

Jul 29, 2019
This is not like the black screen I've received before on a different computer. With this black screen the power light is on, the power adapter light is on and the wireless light is on. The mouse arrow does not show. The light that SHOULD be on that lets me know the computer is loading up is not on. My keyboard light goes on when I touch a key, but the status light does not go on when I press the caps key nor the number lock key. I've tried the turning everything off and counting for a while before turning back on solution, I've tried the "Assist" key (Sony Vaio laptop), I've tried control+alt+delete, I've tried safe mode, tried F8, F10, tried windows key, etc. Nothing works. I hear something running but I don't know if it's the hard drive or the fan. I think it's the hard drive running. This is just a guess. Most of the information I used to try and solve my problem came from here, the Microsoft website, the Sony troubleshooting website, as well Youtube. I'm completely tired of trying. I truly hate to trash a computer than can be saved if it's not costly. I'd rather avoid taking it somewhere to get it fixed, which is why I am here for help. I just can't afford to get it fixed. The problem came about overnight, about 3 weeks ago. My computer was left on overnight. I woke up the next day to the black screen and it's been black ever since. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try...
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution
Jul 29, 2019
I’ve connected my tv with my laptop through the hdmi but still black screen. I’ve also tried the win ctrl+shift+b but nothing. This is something I tried before asking for help here. A couple of things I didn’t mention is that I am able to open the dvd/cd using the eject button beside the power button. I also noticed that whenever I’m pressing the power button to turn off the pc the battery/ac indicator light goes on. I don’t know what that means. I even tapped the power button without holding it down and the battery/ac light came on. It goes off when I’m not pressing the power button. The battery is charged and is nowhere near dead. Another time I turned on the pc to try the solutions again, the battery light was blinking. I think I probably didn’t put the battery in right after the previous attempts because after taking it out and putting the battery back in the light was not blinking anymore. I’d also like to add that when that battery light was blinking I plugged in the ac adapter thinking the battery was low but the battery light was still blinking! o_O As I said though, the blinking stopped after removing the battery and putting it back in. Last thing I’ve tried was taking the ram from another computer with same core i5 (different brand computer) and still the same thing... a black screen. I am able to tell that both the fan runs as well the hard drive. Nothing runs at high speed, and there is no overheating.

Jul 29, 2019
So, after putting the original ram back in place, I just opened the laptop monitor all the way back and tried one last time to turn it on and it came on! I don’t know why but I’m trying to save the stuff I needed to save right now! I’m afraid to even move it in any way.