Unusual problem with my friends Laptop and it's power plug

Chibej

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
Hey guys, new member, time to time lurker, I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

To start with, my friend bought an used laptop recently. Previous owner had no problems with it, but he said he didn't use the laptop in the last 4 months, it was just laying on his desk. He also confirmed, he was playing Battlefield 4 before that with no problems. My friend is still in contact with the owner, he actually knows him briefly, so he certainly didn't get scammed and the owner is still fully willing to cooperate to find the solution.

Let's jump to the problem. If the laptop is plugged in with the power plug and you start a video game (Assassin's Creed 2), as soon as you begin playing (or maybe after playing for 1-2 minutes), the laptop shuts down (as if holding shut down button). BUT, if you start a game with laptop not being plugged into power source, you can just play normally. Unfortunately, battery runs out in about an hour of gaming session. When the laptop gets plugged in again, it shuts down soon after. My friend tested this on a few different games, but it's the same problem everywhere. Let me remind you, that laptop works flawlessly if it's not playing video games.

My friend has also found a plan B solution, but it's not ideal. He opened Amd Catalyst Control Center and under power tab, he chose to have maximized battery life, for when the laptop is plugged in, instead of maximized performance. The games work after that, but consequently, the graphics and stuff need to be lower.

I have no idea what the problem could be, so I'm kindly asking you guys for help!

Some laptop specifications:

lenovo y560
-intel core i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
-AMD mobility radeon HD 5000
-4GB ram
-lenovo ac adapter 120W 19.5V (6.15A) (it says on the laptop it needs the same power, owner didn't change adapter)
-battery: LENOVO L09L6D16
-windows 8.1

Again, if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I would ask if you could guide me to the right one :)

Thank you for your help

Chibej

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014

The Laptop is not overheating, it's a little bit warm but that's it. The fans are freshly cleaned and fairly quiet when playing games (for a minute of what it is :p ).