Updating graphics drivers?

Ralphey112

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
I have a hp laptop which has intel 5500 graphics and dedicated 940m 2gb

They are the same versions as they were when i bought when the laptop. I want to update them. As ive had previous experiences where i ended up with drivers not working properly.

my question is do we have to update the integrated graphics as well or can i just update the 940m?
if so, should i update intel ones first or nvidia?

also whats the difference between updating from device manager and going to the nvidia website urself and downloading it from there?

thanks! :)

Solution
Sometimes it causes issues such as FPS drop in games becasue some cached data are still stored in the Registry but sometimes it works. I suggested uninstalling it first so that everything in the Registry will be deleted and the mapping of your Windows system would point to the updated driver. Updating the bios is not necessary unless it supports the current version the driver you will download (This rarely happens). Finally, yes it would set your dedicated GPU as the global display adapter but you won't have the hassle of always updating the 2 drivers plus Windows won't confused itself on whether which GPU driver is the primary one. Well, you can always install intel hd 5500 second to you Geforce 940m
Cheers!
Sometimes laptop vendors have tweaked versions of GFX drives ... you have two, one for the IG and one for the 940m. I generally recommend checking manufacturer;s web site 1st, in your case HP, and if nothing there, then go to intel and nVidia

smurfWHYPHY

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
It doesnt matter what you update first although there are some default bios settings that prioritizes a certain driver. The difference between updating from the device manager compared to downloading it manually is does that in the device manager, the program visits microsoft's website to see if the driver it will download is supported and will then proceed to the manufacturer's site automatically then download it. It takes a lot of time compared to downloading it manually from the manufacturer's site (assuming you know what OS you have and what model of GPU you have).

I suggest using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) first then installing the latest drivers.

P.S.
Even though you dont install the Intel HD 5500 and only installing the Geforce 940m it will still work, I do this in all my devices and it works

Ralphey112

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

if i dont uninstall them and update them without uninstalling them it would cause some problems? also would i need to update my bios as well because bios is the same old version. also if you only install the dedicated drivers then that would set that graphics card as the global processor right? thanks for ur help mate

smurfWHYPHY

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
Sometimes it causes issues such as FPS drop in games becasue some cached data are still stored in the Registry but sometimes it works. I suggested uninstalling it first so that everything in the Registry will be deleted and the mapping of your Windows system would point to the updated driver. Updating the bios is not necessary unless it supports the current version the driver you will download (This rarely happens). Finally, yes it would set your dedicated GPU as the global display adapter but you won't have the hassle of always updating the 2 drivers plus Windows won't confused itself on whether which GPU driver is the primary one. Well, you can always install intel hd 5500 second to you Geforce 940m
Cheers!

Solution

Ralphey112

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015

thanks a lot mate!