Upgrade advice

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Hello.

I have a SAGER NP8662 which was recommended to me by Maziar and I have been very happy with it. I would like to know if I can upgrade my laptop or am I out of luck? I would like it to run some games a bit better. If not I'll end up keeping it another year and then replace it (It's will be 3 years old in June IIRC).

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz

GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 260M

RAM: 4GB

HD: Not looking to upgrade.

So, if I am able to upgrade any of these, which would be biggest upgrade for the least cost?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Upgrading might help, but given the age of your system, I'm a bit worried that you will upgrade and then your system will eventually stop working due to some other breakdown from something like the motherboard and you will end up buying a new laptop anyway. In my opinion, it might be better to just save up for a new laptop that will probably have better hardware than what your laptop has now rather than spending on a old system. However, I will defer to WR2 since WR2 is probably more knowledgeable about these types of things than I am.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
RAM is the cheapest to upgrade, but I'm not sure if it will help you run games better. Another thing people usually upgrade on laptops are hard drives to SSDs. In my opinion, you are probably better off just keeping it as is now and replacing it later.

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

SSDs will only improve load times right? Not actual in game performance. Also, aren't SSD's fairly expensive still? I haven't checked lately.

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

Black ops, haven't tried MW3 yet but I'm guessing if Black Ops doesn't run too well then MW3 won't run well either. I played SWTOR Beta and it didn't run too well, could have just been because it was beta, but I played up until the final build and it still didn't run as well as I would hope. So if I do upgrade, I might pick SWTOR as well.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Upgrading might help, but given the age of your system, I'm a bit worried that you will upgrade and then your system will eventually stop working due to some other breakdown from something like the motherboard and you will end up buying a new laptop anyway. In my opinion, it might be better to just save up for a new laptop that will probably have better hardware than what your laptop has now rather than spending on a old system. However, I will defer to WR2 since WR2 is probably more knowledgeable about these types of things than I am.

Solution