Upgrade older laptop, yay or nay?

McLovinHawaii

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Found myself in need of a laptop again but I can't decide whether or not to upgrade the old one I've got or buy a new one. The laptop I've got is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L870-18G. The thing is it needs a new fan and harddrive, I just can't be bothered with a 5400 rpm HDD when I've gotten used to using SSD :D I would only install a smaller SSD like 120 GB etc.. I can change all parts myself.

Laptop specs:
Intel® Core™ i5-3230M-processor Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz
AMD Radeon HD 7670M - 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Motherboard... who knows can't find the info

If I were to buy a new laptop it wouldn't have to be an i5 and I would just go with onboard graphics as I just need it for office purposes. I just don't like to throw working eletronics out!

Solution

32/64 GB SSD??? - That's really low - you're asking for future problems with that - I suggest you stick to your original idea of 120 GB - even that is on the low side - you really don't want to load an SSD past 80% capacity.

Considering you have to strip that laptop down to replace the fan - it would seem an ideal time to replace the thermal paste on that processor and do a thorough cleaning job on the whole cooling assembly. Also, if the cmos battery is in a hard to reach spot - maybe replace it.

Should be a great machine after that - 16GB of ram is nice to have!

birne

Estimable
May 19, 2015
it depends on what you would want to do with it.
If all you are gonna du is browsing the web, office, light gaming etc. then i would say save a few bucks and go down the upgrading path.
the hardware is totally fine for that when you add an ssd.
If you however want to play modern titles or video/photo editing then i would recommend getting a new one.

R_1

Estimable
Herald
if main use is office use, no reason not to upgrade, there still speed in there yet.
I would yank out the optical drive and move the HDD to a 2nd drive tray (A) and put the SSD where the HDD was. this way you get to keep large storage and still have a fast boot drive.
I would put the optical into an enclosure (B) and keep it as an external
Examples only shop around, not an endorsement
(A) https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Universal-Enclosure-DVD-ROM-Optical/dp/B0177AF7OO?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0177AF7OO
(B) https://www.amazon.com/Firstcom-External-Enclosure-Slimline-Optical/dp/B0168V7B7E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1502872615&sr=8-9&keywords=laptop+cd+drive+enclosure

if you do this make sure you get the right height 2nd drive tray and enclosure. 7mm 9mm or 12.5mm

robert600

Distinguished

32/64 GB SSD??? - That's really low - you're asking for future problems with that - I suggest you stick to your original idea of 120 GB - even that is on the low side - you really don't want to load an SSD past 80% capacity.

Considering you have to strip that laptop down to replace the fan - it would seem an ideal time to replace the thermal paste on that processor and do a thorough cleaning job on the whole cooling assembly. Also, if the cmos battery is in a hard to reach spot - maybe replace it.

Should be a great machine after that - 16GB of ram is nice to have!

Solution