Upgrade storage of Lenovo Y510P for better performance

saurabh_goyal93

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hello everyone,
I live in India. I currently own a Lenovo Y510P laptop with the following specifications.
Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.4 GHz (Turbo boost upto 3.4 GHz) processor
8 GB RAM
1TB 5400rpm hard disk
Nvidia 755m graphics card

I use my laptop to browse the internet, watch a lot of tv shows and play a few games (like GTA V, Sleeping Dogs, Watch Dogs, NFS Rivals, GRID 2 usually). I'm looking to upgrade the hard disk. I have two options:
1) I can go for a 1 TB SSHD and ditch my old 1TB 5400 rpm HDD.
2) I can add 120GB SSD by removing my dvd drive and adding the ssd in hdd caddy and then inserting that back into the laptop.

Which will give me overall better performance that the order? I know there won't be an FPS increase but loading time will go down. Also, my laptop will boot up and function at a much better rate. Few things to note, I'm on a tight budget as I'm still a student. I found the parts in question at the following prices.
Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (MZ-75E120) for Rs. 5070.
HDD Caddy for Rs. 1199.
Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drive 9.5 mm thickness 1 TB Laptop Internal Hard Drive (ST1000LM014) for Rs. 6525.

Also, advice me if there's a better SSD or SSHD out there for the price. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to SSDs and all. I only shop from Flipkart and Amazon. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Thought I answered this, guess my post didn't go through...

But anyways, if you would like to go with the SSHD I would see how big the SSD part is if they are separated, or check with performance comparisons if it is all integrated.

Personally, if you don't use the CD/DVD drive, I would go ahead and replace it with a 120GB SSD drive. Use the SSD as the OS drive with your daily used application installed, and use the 1TB for data and games as you aren't too worried about load times. I did this in my MacBook Pro as I never used the Optical Drive and I am very happy with my decision.

Worst case scenario you can buy a cheap external CD/DVD drive. The Samsung EVO drives are some of the best on the market, you will not be disappointed!

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
Thought I answered this, guess my post didn't go through...

But anyways, if you would like to go with the SSHD I would see how big the SSD part is if they are separated, or check with performance comparisons if it is all integrated.

Personally, if you don't use the CD/DVD drive, I would go ahead and replace it with a 120GB SSD drive. Use the SSD as the OS drive with your daily used application installed, and use the 1TB for data and games as you aren't too worried about load times. I did this in my MacBook Pro as I never used the Optical Drive and I am very happy with my decision.

Worst case scenario you can buy a cheap external CD/DVD drive. The Samsung EVO drives are some of the best on the market, you will not be disappointed!

Solution