Solved! Upgrade timing after 12th payment to avoid paying two monthly payments in one month ?

Feb 13, 2020
I'm new to this forum and have a rather simple question (I think) on the iPhone upgrade program at Apple. Thanks in advance for indulging me .. glad to be here!

If you upgrade the day after your 12th payment, aren't you effectivly making two payments that month; one for the old phone and one for the new phone? Should you wait to upgrade until just before the 13th payment is due? Sounds logical to me, as the12th payment (the one you just paid) is not prorated into the new phone payment. In other words, as an example .. if you pay $56.00/ month for your current phone and you made your 12 payment on December 31st .. the next $56.00 payment is not due until January 31st. If you upgrade on January 1st to as same/similar phone package, you have to pay $56.00 for the first month (January) of the new phone because you are always paying for the upcoming month. So assuming you make that decision ... you just paid $112.00 for the month of January. Right?

Solution
You need to check with whatever program you use as to how they handle things with financing and payments when one ends and the new one starts. Of course if you do it so the timing is you pay twice in a month, then yes you paid twice in a month.

Your question also depends on someone that likes to keep paying for their phone instead of just paying off the current one then using it for a while, I would wait to upgrade till the phone I have is no longer usable to do what I want, not just because I just paid it off 10 minutes ago. That avoids any issues with paying for something twice in the same month, or even the same several years hehe.
You need to check with whatever program you use as to how they handle things with financing and payments when one ends and the new one starts. Of course if you do it so the timing is you pay twice in a month, then yes you paid twice in a month.

Your question also depends on someone that likes to keep paying for their phone instead of just paying off the current one then using it for a while, I would wait to upgrade till the phone I have is no longer usable to do what I want, not just because I just paid it off 10 minutes ago. That avoids any issues with paying for something twice in the same month, or even the same several years hehe.

Solution
Feb 13, 2020
Agreed. Just double checking my logic. I'm not bolting to the Apple store to upgrade today .. it was more an observation of how it doesn't make sense to upgrade shortly after you make your 12th payment. I'm sure many people do bolt to the store the next day, and end up making two monthly payments in a two day period. Thanks -