Upgrade to a GTX 260m GPU

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I am currently running a 9800m GS GPU but I'm looking to upgrade to the GTX 260m. The question is, where can I buy one? I have looked high and low and all i seem to come up with is Ebay.. And these little cards are very very over priced on Ebay.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, you can't exactly buy mobile GPU's from regular channels, because most of the time the GPU is soldered to the motherboards in laptops. However, if your GPU is an MXM module, then it is possible to swap it, assuming you can find a new MXM-compatible one.

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Even if you could do the upgrade I'm not sure how much of a difference you'd see. The 260M is still a g92b chip - mine is clocked at 500MHz (100MHz less than my desktop 8800GT), and has an otherwise identical featureset to the desktop card. It's not bad by any means, but don't be expecting a true GT200 card.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Its a Asus G71G X-1... I am almost positive that the 260 will fit.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
The G71G series has the MXM cards soldered to the board, unlike their 15 inch brothers. Unfortunately you are stuck with your 9800m GS. At least, it's that way with my wife's G71G-A1 (so I don't see why the X-1 would be any different).

If you are desperately in the need for more power, I'd just up the clocks on your card using rivatuner or somesuch. Just make sure to monitor temps.

On a side note, you could always ebay your current G71G and use that to buy the new laptops with the 5870's in them. They are actually quite reasonably priced on Newegg. 1.5k-ish, less if you would be lucky enough to find an open box.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

no thats not the case here. I have personally removed this entire card and applied new thermal paste. it is not soldered to the board. it is just in a PCI slot thats alot like a Ram slot

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

That's crazy. I wonder if it had to do with the reseller (did you get yours through an e-tailer or through a retailer?)
I know that the 9800m GS is an MXM slot card (Dunno if it's 2.1 or 3.0), so it is interchangable, but in my case is soldered on.

In any case I digress. I've yet to see one under $400 anywhere online, so I wish you the best of luck finding one.
Again, it may be better to e-bay your current laptop and use the difference for a newer one.
($900 [e-bay example, don't know it's real value] + $400 (you would have to spend on the graphics card) = $1300

You'd end up spending a few hundred more for arguably a better proc, more ram, and a card that is at least as good as a 280 GTX.

Not knowing a budget doesn't help, but you again, I agree with everyone else here in that you'll be hard pressed to find a modern MXM style graphics card of decent power that is priced reasonably. I believe that Dell replacements for the 9xxx ATI series are still going for upwards of $80 if that tells you anything.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

I got it from newegg. came right out of the asus box... But I do appreciate the advise. My brother told me the same thing you did. Sell my computer before its too old and just upgrade.