Upgrade Your Warner HD DVDs to Blu-ray for $5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Sounds great! Now we can only hope they do this for Europe too. I'm reasonably happy with my HD DVDs but my PS3 is a far nicer player as a whole than my EP35.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I can't wait to upgrade my HD-DVD version of The Matrix Ultimate Collection so I can get Animatrix in 1080p, the HD-DVD version came with Animatrix in SD. This could be costly for me too, I have many Warner movies in th HD-DVD format like the Harry Potter films, Batman Begins, The Aviator, etc. Perhaps Warner will see enough revenue from this to persuade Paramount and Universal to do the same. The best part is you can still keep your HD-DVD discs.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
This is good news for those people that dont have hd-dvd because they can get blu ray movies cheap. But for those people that have those movies on hd dvd they probably know that it looks better and isn t worth the change.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]This is good news for those people that dont have hd-dvd because they can get blu ray movies cheap. But for those people that have those movies on hd dvd they probably know that it looks better and isn t worth the change.[/citation]

So are you claiming that HD DVD is a better quality then BD?

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
So frys sells HD dvd for like $5. If you take say the harry potter collection (5 movies $5 a piece = $25 + $6.95 shipping = $31.95) and you could get them all on blu ray for the price of 1 1/2 blu ray titles at retail prices.
*ponders*

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
$12.00 is a little more than I'd like to pay to upgrade, but I guess it isn't a bad deal.

Unfortunately, I think this will wind up hurting my scavenger hunt at second hand stores for other people's abandoned HD-DVDs. :(

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Still have all my HD DVDs, they still play, I don't know if I'll spend the money. I have them all backed up to my HDD, and that's a mirrorred setup, so don't know if its necessary to do this yet.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Sounds perfectly good to me. I like my HD-DVD's plenty, BUT... given the chance to pay a couple bucks a disc and get Blu-ray copies, I'll probably do it. Scan and copy the covers, slip them into the original sleeves, give them to a friend who has an HD-DVD player but no Blu-ray. This will make finding a playback method for my movies MUCH easier since HD-DVD drives are basically non-existent at this point, save for a couple LG's.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Still a shame that HD-DVD lost out. I still think it was the better format as far as being complete and especially economically at the time. Yeah just try and play some of the new movies on a first gen blu ray player. Then again it's Toshiba's own fault that they didn't recognize that the PS3 would push blu ray and that the best way to combat it was with more aggressive player pricing until it was too late. Of course, wining the HD war sure hasn't done a whole lot of good for Sony's balance sheet now has it :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.