Solved! Upgrading 7 year old laptop

warehouse553

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I have a 7 year old Toshiba P70-A running 8.1 that I am still using and want to upgrade. What current laptops equal or exceed my current specifications. I'm a computer novice but I'm sure technology has advanced in 9 years, lol. But I really want a new one with a built in optical drive. Any help will be greatly appreciated?

Operation System
Windows 8.1

CPU
i7-4700MQ

RAM
16GB

GPU
NVIDIA GT 740m

Optical
BD-RE

Storage
Drive 1: msata 256GB
Drive 2: 750GB HDD
Drive 3: 1 TB HDD

Display
1920x1080 LCD

Backlit keyboard

Solution
Video editing. So what current CPU AND GPU ARE equal to an i7 4700MQ and GT740M?

Need to know how much you want to spend on the new system. I would say if it's under $600 there is no need to switch because you will have the same speeds and a lot less drive options. Gaming systems in the $800+ range would have a good CPU and card for editing. This MSI is good for $1,000 has a 512gb drive and space for a second 2.5mm drive https://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gf63-thin-9sc-652.html
Firstly, I doubt you'll find one with 8.1 on it. Windows 10 is the one MS wants everyone to run so they can suck data from the maximum people they can.

Also, built in optical drives are a rarity in laptops in an race to make the thinnest model. You can buy USB units but unfortunately, most require two USB ports - one for power the other for data.

warehouse553

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Firstly, I doubt you'll find one with 8.1 on it. Windows 10 is the one MS wants everyone to run so they can suck data from the maximum people they can.

Also, built in optical drives are a rarity in laptops in an race to make the thinnest model. You can buy USB units but unfortunately, most require two USB ports - one for power the other for data.
I can tolerate Windows 10 but I need a CPU and GPU equivalent or better than my current ones and an optical drive. I'm sure it's still possible somewhere. Any suggestions Dell, HP, etc?

Video editing. So what current CPU AND GPU ARE equal to an i7 4700MQ and GT740M?

Need to know how much you want to spend on the new system. I would say if it's under $600 there is no need to switch because you will have the same speeds and a lot less drive options. Gaming systems in the $800+ range would have a good CPU and card for editing. This MSI is good for $1,000 has a 512gb drive and space for a second 2.5mm drive https://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gf63-thin-9sc-652.html

Solution