Upgrading a Toshiba Satellite P845-S4200

AlexWirtes

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
As the title says, I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop. Here are the general specs of it when I bought it: http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-p845-s4200-14-core-i5-3317u-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-6-gb-ram-750-gb-hdd/specs/

I have a decent hard drive but it could be a little larger. I'm thinking of booting my Win7 OS from a small SSD for the sake of making it go faster. I added some more RAM so I'm at 8GB instead of 6GB as it states in the specs I posted above. I also am thinking of upgrading to a faster processer. I have an i5 bu it's pretty laggy when I play a game such as Skyrim. That could also be because of my lack of a graphics card. However I don't know if I cn even put a graphics card in my laptop.

So any help would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
The enclosure is pretty much a box with SATA to USB built-in, you open the enclosure, connect the SATA to USB to the HDD, put the HDD into the enclosure, close it, connect to the laptop via USB.
SSD will read a lot faster, aka loading maps, opening applications, starting OS, etc.
The processor is set in stone, unless you really really want to give it a shot, but I'm not willing to put in the effort of researching for at least an hour to find a compatible one.

AlexWirtes

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
So I'd only be able to insert an internal SSD inside my laptop and use my current HDD as an external? If that's the case how would I be able to turn my originally internal HDD into an external one? I understand Google is my best friend but I need more specific opinions for my situation.

I've already adde some RAM. I now have 2x4GB (8GB) Is that enough to smoothly play a game such as Skyrim?

What would I have to do to my laptop to make it play games faster?

Anything I can do to boost it's preformance would be great. I just want to be able to play games smoothly with at least medium graphics.

Also the battery is no longer retaining much of a charge. I get brought down to 0% within an hour or so if it's not plugged in. Any suggestions?

I thank you for your help. I really appreciate it and look forward to reading more.

AlexWirtes

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Does the HDD enclosure attatch to the outside of the laptop or do I need to find a seperate way to mount it?
SSD will load the Skyrim map faster?
Looks like I'm good on RAM.
SOL with the processor then, huh?

IDontUnderstand

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
The enclosure is pretty much a box with SATA to USB built-in, you open the enclosure, connect the SATA to USB to the HDD, put the HDD into the enclosure, close it, connect to the laptop via USB.
SSD will read a lot faster, aka loading maps, opening applications, starting OS, etc.
The processor is set in stone, unless you really really want to give it a shot, but I'm not willing to put in the effort of researching for at least an hour to find a compatible one.

Solution

AlexWirtes

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I understand how the HDD works but is there a way to literally fasten it to the outside of the laptop itself? Velcro or something?
I wouldn't expect anyone to do that kind of digging for me. Thanks for your imput though. It's been most helpful

I suppose anything that will support the weight of it could work. I haven't personally seen anyone make an attempt to affix an external drive to a laptop, but hey, if women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.