Solved! Upgrading Celeron Dual-Core T3500 to Core 2 Duo T9800

Mar 12, 2020
Hi, my laptop is SONY VAIO VGN-31M model PCG-7164M , CPU Celeron Dual-Core T3500 (Chipset GM45/47, Socket P 478) can upgrading with CPU Intel Core 2 Duo T9800 (or T 9600) , this CPU will fit ? thanks , I want just to make sure with an another's opinion ... :)

Solution
the problem is not that it is technically possible, but that Sony has implemented the CPU microcode into the BIOS. Without a buyer who owned the same laptop model as you did, it´s not proven that it will work for sure.
It will fit, but I couldn´t find proof that it will boot for sure with a 1066MHz FSB CPU
The BIOS of the Sony should be updated before swapping the CPUs.

You will have to find out yourself, if it´s running or not.

try a SSD as well instead of a HDD

Mar 12, 2020
Ηι,
at Aliexpress.com several buyers who have been bought and upgrading eg T3400/800MHz FSB to T9600/1066MHz (and others more lowely performance executives PCU of this serie) report that happy and it system is working properly .....? ,
my laptop has a 120GB SSD that clearly aids performance , BIOS is : R2030Y3 .

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020
the problem is not that it is technically possible, but that Sony has implemented the CPU microcode into the BIOS. Without a buyer who owned the same laptop model as you did, it´s not proven that it will work for sure.

Ηι,
If that were case true , I think there would be no free access to the BIOS download , only for those who is registered and who want to make some changes or upgrades etc. ... nowhere in the Sony support pages there is no mention for this microcode into BIOS .... :unsure:

Mar 12, 2020
That´s because the manufacturers of laptops don´t think about CPU upgrade by users.
yes correct observation , so only a practically can try this upgrading if it will work as I see ... and with the CPU FSB from 800MHz on 1066MHz what's going on ? ...
The CPU of "T"series with FSB 800MHz is only the T9500 , and I don't know if it makes any sense to change it ... :unsure:

Last edited: