Upgrading from gt 555m (asus n55sf laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayfray

Estimable
May 24, 2014
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade the video card on my laptop for content creation in Unreal Engine 4. I want to check that this is possible, and if so, whether a suitable card could be purchased for around $200.

As mentioned in title, the laptop model is Asus n55sf.
Processor: i7-2670 QM (8 CPUS) with integrated intel hd3000
video card: gt 555m
8 gb RAM

Solution
D
I see no reference to your graphics being upgradeable. The GT555m seems to be the only graphics option for the entire N55SF line no matter what CPU you have so I imagine like with most laptops the graphics chip is soldered to the motherboard and it's not upgradeable.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N55SF/specifications/

Laptops with upgradeable graphics are usually high end gaming specific and they will have an MXM module.
D

Deleted member 217926

I see no reference to your graphics being upgradeable. The GT555m seems to be the only graphics option for the entire N55SF line no matter what CPU you have so I imagine like with most laptops the graphics chip is soldered to the motherboard and it's not upgradeable.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N55SF/specifications/

Laptops with upgradeable graphics are usually high end gaming specific and they will have an MXM module.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Nope, sorry. Too many variables like voltage and heat regulation to make any but the highest end dedicated gaming laptops upgradeable.

Pr3di

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
I don`t like to resurrect dead topics, but just in case anyone stumbles here, I want to mention that the GPU on this laptop is not soldered in. I actually took it apart from the laptop last night while replacing the TIM.

magz1990nine

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
I'm aware this thread is a bit dated but I had to interject my two cents based on what I know of the N**SF line by ASUS. I have an N75SF, and Not only is the GPU not soldered onto the board, it's in a mini pcie 2 slot and changing it couldn't be easier, on the N75SF, I mean. I'm of the opinion that the 55' is proibably similar. As far as "high end" goes, the N75 sold for around $2,500 USD when it debuted, just a pinch cheaper than the 14" Alienware, for the 18" Asus. I've gone so far as to build a quickly detachable watercooled dock area, and frequently overclock mine to around 15% boost of the base 675/900/1350 clocks with stable results, never cresting above 65 C. I've discussed this in detail with some other Forum-goers on another thread. If I anyone has vbios for this config of 555m with a voltage break please pm me. It's 555m 10DE 1247 - 1043 2051 for reference and is the exact same chip and config as the 635m from my understanding. I'll run this gpu until I brick it, or I find a good price on a 560m to fill the slot. Nearly 5 years of running it far beyond it's "capabilities" and not a dent in it. People only say "can't" about things they lack the imagination to make reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.