Upgrading HP Envy x360 (AMD) Hard Drive to NVMe M.2 SSD

IHaveAQuestion

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Hi guys.

I recently damaged my Dell laoptop so I bought a new HP Envy x360 with AMD Ryzen 5 processor.

The HP came with a standard HD but I want to upgrade the HD by replacing it with my old M.2 SSD drive from my Dell laptop.

I disassembled the HP and added the M.2 drive in the provided slot then reassembled.

I thought I would be able to just go to the boot menu in the BIOS and boot from my old SSD but it's not even listed as an option.

I can see the M.2 drive that I added when I am in Windows.

Can anyone offer some advice to get this computer to be able to boot from the M.2 SSD drive I added?

Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer.

Dad.

***EDIT. I just changed the setting to allow for Legacy Support and rebooted. When I select to boot from the SSD the only thing that happens is the screen is black with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand part of the screen.

Solution
NVME SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware.

When installing Windows 10, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
If there is an option for CSM (Compatibility Support Module), make sure it is disabled.

Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it. Save, exit and reboot.

How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

Calvin7

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
NVME SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware.

When installing Windows 10, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
If there is an option for CSM (Compatibility Support Module), make sure it is disabled.

Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it. Save, exit and reboot.

How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

Solution

IHaveAQuestion

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Thanks for your replies rgd1101 and Calvin7. So If I boot from a USB drive with Windows, will I be able to keep my copy of Windows with all of my existing files on the old Dell SSD I'm trying to use?