Upgrading laptop fans?

crazyduck

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
I have a Toshiba Satellite C50-A-15L running on windows 8. Currently, I have yet to take it apart and clean the fan but I am going to try and do that tomorrow. My laptop gets really hot and I haven't cleaned it since I have had it which is nearly a year. Usually I have a cooling pad on it, but without it on my laptop reaches in excess of 60 degrees celsius core temperature and 40 degrees celsius for the HDD an sometimes with it on it still reaches 40 on the HDD and 50-55 on the core temperature.

My problem most likely is dust in the fans which is hindering performance, but can I upgrade the fan and heatsink? Maybe have a faster spinning fan in place? Also can I set my fan to spin at full speed 100% of the time, and if so how?

Solution
60 C on the CPU is perfectly safe and 40 C on the HDD is normal. The threshold for the CPU varies by chip, and if I'm looking at the right model, your laptop appears to have a Pentium 2020M, which has a max temperature threshold (known as the Junction temperature) of 90 C.

You cannot upgrade the fans or heat sinks specifically, but you can make small modifications to the cooling design that will help. Cleaning the heat sinks and fans out will help, and you can try applying these copper RAM heat sinks to the CPU's copper plate and the heat pipe(s): http://www.camera2000.com/ixbay/Budget/EG0075-5.jpg

A better thermal compound will help as well. IC Diamond and Gelid GC-Extreme are both top notch compounds! Liquid Silver Ultra by...

ThatVietGuy

Distinguished
No, the fan and heatsink are designed to specifically fit in the small confines of the laptop. Anything bigger will not work.

As for temps, laptops can maintain higher temperatures as compared to desktop components. If your load temperatures exceed 90C then you should start worrying.

60 C on the CPU is perfectly safe and 40 C on the HDD is normal. The threshold for the CPU varies by chip, and if I'm looking at the right model, your laptop appears to have a Pentium 2020M, which has a max temperature threshold (known as the Junction temperature) of 90 C.

You cannot upgrade the fans or heat sinks specifically, but you can make small modifications to the cooling design that will help. Cleaning the heat sinks and fans out will help, and you can try applying these copper RAM heat sinks to the CPU's copper plate and the heat pipe(s): http://www.camera2000.com/ixbay/Budget/EG0075-5.jpg

A better thermal compound will help as well. IC Diamond and Gelid GC-Extreme are both top notch compounds! Liquid Silver Ultra by Coollaboratory is also very good, albeit it's application process is a little more involved and it is more risky to use.

Solution