Upgrading laptop with SSD

SylvanoNL

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Hi guys!

I got a new laptop for school recently, it's the newest Acer aspire with an i5-6300HQ, 8GB of DDR4 ram and an gtx 950m. The only downside of this laptop is that it doesn't have an built in SSD.
So my question is: Is it possible/smart to built in an SSD for my laptop?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: It's my first post and don't know if it's the right topic :/

Solution
A SSD will always outperform an mechanical harddrive. The question really is whether you want to invest in a SSD or not, because there is no question about the superior performance of a SSD. If you only have space for one drive, you will most likely have to settle for less harddrive space, as SSD's are expensive compared to mechanical harddrives. You will probably have a 1 tb disk now, and a 1 tb SSD will set you back for at least $250, and those are the cheaper ones.

Another option is to buy a hybrid, a mechanical harddrive with a built-in SSD.

If you do get a SSD there are many options to clone your harddrive to a SSD. You can still use your old harddrive, for example you can buy a USB harddrive kit, then use your old harddrive as...

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
A SSD will always outperform an mechanical harddrive. The question really is whether you want to invest in a SSD or not, because there is no question about the superior performance of a SSD. If you only have space for one drive, you will most likely have to settle for less harddrive space, as SSD's are expensive compared to mechanical harddrives. You will probably have a 1 tb disk now, and a 1 tb SSD will set you back for at least $250, and those are the cheaper ones.

Another option is to buy a hybrid, a mechanical harddrive with a built-in SSD.

If you do get a SSD there are many options to clone your harddrive to a SSD. You can still use your old harddrive, for example you can buy a USB harddrive kit, then use your old harddrive as a USB drive.

Solution

SylvanoNL

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Well money is not a problem for me, so it is possible to upgrade my laptop to an ssd?

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Then of course. Usually any SSD you buy will come with hardware cloning software. You will have to use another computer to do the cloning, or connect the SSD through USB to the laptop with a harddrive USB kit.

SylvanoNL

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Well, that's not really what i meant :p
I got the laptop as a gift i meant for upgrading it, money isn't a problem :)