USB startup from sleep when lid is closed

Hilden

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
Ok here goes. I'm attempting to use my old laptop as a media player for my tv.
acer aspire 5553g
I plan on having it closed at all times and I want to be able to turn it back on from sleep with my USB Rii keyboard/tackpad. I've set all the power setting to do nothing when lid is closed. I can boot it back up if the lid is open but not when it is closed.
I've read other posts and they suggested ennabling a setting in bios for USB wake. This is not a feature on my bios (latest version) I was almost considering taking my laptop apart and seeing if I could disconnect the piece that tells the laptop its closed (if thats even possible) and then just having the screen off. does anyonebody have any possible ways that I might go about this without tearing my laptop apart?

Thanks!

Solution
well have a question when you close your computer screen is it going to sleep hybrid sleep or into hibernation mode?

also go into your power management setting and under your profile select "change advance settings"

1 go to lid close section and set them to disable for both battery and pluged in mode that way when you close your lid your computer wont go to sleep just because you closed it.

2 then go to the section that says usb settings>usb selective suspend>and disable that.(if you have something else you might have to use your judgement if it should be enabled or disabled my laptop calls it selective suspend though

3. under sleep>hybrid sleep>set it to disabled

it could be anyone or all three settings to get it to do what you...

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
go into device manager and go to your usb hubs and ports. find on the last tab where it says allow computer to turn off this device to save power and unselected it. see if that solves your issue. (it could be that with the lid closed its shutting off the usb ports to save power and therefore doesn't see when you press a key)

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
well have a question when you close your computer screen is it going to sleep hybrid sleep or into hibernation mode?

also go into your power management setting and under your profile select "change advance settings"

1 go to lid close section and set them to disable for both battery and pluged in mode that way when you close your lid your computer wont go to sleep just because you closed it.

2 then go to the section that says usb settings>usb selective suspend>and disable that.(if you have something else you might have to use your judgement if it should be enabled or disabled my laptop calls it selective suspend though

3. under sleep>hybrid sleep>set it to disabled

it could be anyone or all three settings to get it to do what you want. play around with them if you haven't already and then report back

Solution