USB studio mic or headset with 3.5mm jack with sound card?

pelgro

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading my audio sound, but I'm unsure what I should invest into.

Currently I got a Asus Xonar DX sound card and a Razer Carcharias (old version) headset. I'm actually pretty happy with this setup in a day to day basis. But for audio recordings or streaming it kinda sounds bad. The mic picks up a slight noise, which is a bit annoying.

Now to the question. Should I buy a USB studio microphone or just a new headset and use my sound card with it? What would be the most logical buy?
I would prefer a new headset so I can utilize my sound card, but would the audio quality be worse compared to a low budget (around $100) USB studio mic?

sincerly,
pelgro

BlueFireZ

Estimable
What headset do you have in mind? Unless you think that your current headset sounds bad, get a new headset, otherwise a studio mic will definitely overpower any headset mic. What I think you should do is keep your Carcharias and get a studio mic since you will be recording, when you have enough money maybe buy some good headphones. My setup is the Blue Snowball and Audio Technica ATH-M40x.

Hope this helps!

pelgro

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I was thinking about possibly getting the Sennheiser PC 360, but haven't really researched it yet.

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the Blue Snowball and it looks great and so on, but I have one concern about it. How easy will it pick up my keyboard? Rubber or mechanical.
What would be the next step in terms of studio mic in a $100 to $200 price range?

BlueFireZ

Estimable
One of the known problems with the Snowball is that it picks up background noise, for me so far i havent heard any keyboard clicks while recording but there is a chance you might hear it. Your obviously going to be talking so that should cover up the little clicks that you might hear, but for me, ive had no problem (I use rubber dome). The next step mics would be these:

Audio Technica AT2020 (You can also have a look at the Plus version)- http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-AT2020-USB-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001AS6OYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421459904&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+microphone

AKG Perception 120 (comparable to the AT2020) - http://www.amazon.ca/AKG-Pro-Audio-PERCEPTION-120/dp/B003DSI62U/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1421460136&sr=8-12&keywords=akg+microphone

Both of those are very good mics.