Status
Not open for further replies.

Josie-pi

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Hello,
I would like to watch tv on my pc, windows 7, so I have been reading online and decided to get a USB tv tuner but haven't decided which one. There are so many acronyms and can't tell what I really need to have. On amazon, the avertv is rated well. What is the difference btw
http://www.amazon.com/Avertv-Hybrid-Volar-Windows-MTVHVMXSK/dp/B002U6KT8U/ref=pd_cp_e_0 and
http://www.amazon.com/AVERMEDIA-H837-AVerTV-Volar-Hybrid/dp/B006PU81QE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352100022&sr=1-2&keywords=usb tv tuner windows 7.

Or any other suggestions? Thanks!

The following assumes you live in the US.

It all boils down to what your Television source is, free Over-The-Air (OTA) broadcasts, Basic (unencrypted) cable (no set top box required), a higher cable subscription that requires a set top box, or satellite.

For OTA broadcasts, you need a TV Tuner that accepts a digital (ATSC) signal.
For Basic Cable, you need a tuner that accepts a ClearQAM signal.
For a higher Cable subscription, you could still use a tuner that has a ClearQAM signal, but the signal would have to come from the set top box and I believe the Coaxial output of the set top box is converted from digital to analog. A cablecard solution would probably be better suited.
I don't believe there are TV Tuners for satellite signals.

The only real difference I see between the two tuners you've listed is that the AVERMEDIA H837 AVerTV Volar Hybrid Q HDTV & FM Radio - Black has the additional FM Radio and ClearQAM tuners as well as some additional functions.

Let us know what your TV source is and we can then make recommendations.

-Wolf sends

Josie-pi

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Thanks for explaining all the acronyms. Just use an antenna with OTA broadcasts. Am leaning towards the Avertv hybrid volar max tx tuner since it has so many high reviews. Just wondering if there is something newer that works better, faster, cheaper, etc.

Josie-pi

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Following up, ended up getting the Avertv Hybrid Volar Max TV Tuner Kit for Windows and it was pretty easy to install, still figuring out how to use some of the media center since its recording everything but it seems to do what it's supposed to.

wsl7b9.jpg

Mod Closed for resurrecting a 3.5 year old thread

Status
Not open for further replies.