Use AMD VCE on secondary GPU for screen capturing only?

DinkerDER

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
I have two Asus R9 280X in my computer. They are not running Crossfire. Is there any way to configure Fraps, Dxtory, OBS or any kind of capturing program to use the secondary GPU only for capturing the gameplay?

I have tried using OBS with AMD VCE but I think it uses the primary GPU for the capture and encoding, which gives me a performance loss.

Solution
No. Capture software works by copying whats in the video frame buffer so copying the buffer of car thats not running the game would get you a video of the desktop.

You can try AMD Gaming Evlolved capture software which would use the GPU's hardware video encoder to convert the files to h.264 with little impact on the cpu.

popatim

Splendid
No. Capture software works by copying whats in the video frame buffer so copying the buffer of car thats not running the game would get you a video of the desktop.

You can try AMD Gaming Evlolved capture software which would use the GPU's hardware video encoder to convert the files to h.264 with little impact on the cpu.

Solution

DinkerDER

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015

Thanks. I tried AMD Raptr with Crossfire and it's working surprisingly well. I barely get any performance loss at all when recording. Although the second GPU is under 0% load according to MSI Afterburner, but the secondary GPU has to be doing something because I get tons of more lag if I disable Crossfire.