Use apple headphone as PC mic failed (plugged in pink mic jack)

yrqls21

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
Hello everyone. I recently built my PC but forgot to purchase a microphone for it. So I tried to use the apple standard headphone as mic (and at the same time using a USB speaker as audio output).

I tried to plug the headphone into the front pink mic jack as well as the rear one. The OS (Windos8.1 Enterprise) could detect a microphone using the up-to-date realtek audio drive, but cannot get any audio input from it (the volumn bar at the right side of the record device icon is always zero).

Then I tried to use the headphone comes with the PS4 (the small single-side one) and get the exactly same problem. Wired thing is, when I turn the microphone boost to maximum and try to speak to the earplug (not the mic part but the ), the sound will be recorded with a low volumn.

I know probably using a USB mic would fix this but I am just tring to figure out where is the problem (when other people could do this and successfully use the headphone as mic). And if it is the problem with my motherboard, I need to return it ASAP (my motherboard is ASUS maximus VII formula).

Please give me a hand on this as I am so so so frustrated when I tried everything I know and still don't even know where is the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciate! Thank you!

yrqls21

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
Thank you for replying. I understand that PS4 headphone and Apple headphones are using 4 in 1 jack and may have problems with the mic jack on my motherboard. But I don't understand why others could use them as mic... As I imaged, the design of the mic jack on motherboards should be pretty much the same along the time.....

here is a youtube video that shows how other people succeed in this:
Video: Some one did the same and succeed

yrqls21

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015

Thanks for replying. The problem is that I don't know if it is a problem with my motherboard. Say I should have a motherboard with compatible jack but actually I don't. If it is just because my motherboard mic jack is different than what the guy in the video has, I don't need to return the mother board. Otherwise I may want to change another one from the retailer....