Solved! Use PC Microphone and Speakers/Headphones for Android Phone Sound I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2018
I am not looking for information on VOIP.

I am not looking for information on Google Phone.

I am not looking for advice to buy a different phone.

This is not about using a particular application on my PC.

This is not about using a particular application on my android phone.

I've tried "make it louder" apps on my phone and they covered the full spectrum between "made it worse" to "had no effect at all."

I've tried phone headsets and either I can't hear who I'm talking to or they can't hear me.

My phone sends sound output to and receives sound input from a 3.5mm jack.

My PC sends sound output to and receives sound input from a 3.5mm jack.

Surely there is a way to run the audio i/o from the phone through the PC so I can make use of the very good microphone and speakers/headphones I have.

That's all I want, to connect my existing Alcatel Pixi Theater (model DALW5004) cell phone to my PC in a way that lets me use the PC's microphone and speakers instead of the phone's microphone and speaker.

The motherboard on my PC is a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 Rev.1.

It feels as if it might be as simple as putting a splitter on a 3.5mm jack cable coming out of the phone and plugging the mic and speaker parts into their inverse counterparts on the motherboard (phone output to PC input, PC output to phone input), but I'm not confident enough about that to risk damaging my phone (If I could afford to replace the phone, I wouldn't be making this post in the first place).

Is it asking too much to get an answer to the question I'm actually asking?

Solution
I did try to assist you in another thread. What you didn't seem to understand is that with the phone, it won't work for all things. It isn't like with a computer where you can just hook it up to something and with a little tweaking it will work.

Phones don't work that way. They aren't meant to. The best you can try is to get one of the programs that allows running apps from a computer and this 'may' allow you to run those via the computer while connected to the phone. No guaranty as they can be hit or miss.

If, however, you are just trying to get the phone to do everything via the computer's speakers and mic, but not run anything through the computer itself, I know of no way to do it.

Were you to just connect an external mic and...
May 23, 2018

May 23, 2018
So the 3.5 mm jack sound output from the phone can't be used as 3.5 mm jack sound input on the computer and the 3.5 mm jack sound input to the phone can't come from the 3.5 mm jack sound output form the computer?

SMH

How does the phone know the jack isn't just feeding headphones? How does the computer know the jacks aren't feeding headphones?

I get that it's not a normal solution, but I'm a little puzzled as to the why of it.

It shouldn't be much more complicated that connecting a separate mic and speaker to the phone (or to the computer) from a "what signals are going where" perspective.

My biggest concern is voltages. I don't want to attach my phone to the PC and blow it up (I don't mean literally explode it - I'm being metaphorical).

Don't get me wrong. I get that more or less everyone says, "You can't do that."

What I haven't gotten is a solid "why" on that.

Given that I made a pretty good living looking at systems, seeing things that could be done with them that everyone said couldn't be, and then doing them, I trust my gut on this. Just not enough to risk destroying my only telephone.

I had hoped someone would have something more to offer than a party line "Nope" answer to this. If I knew the why, I might be able to find a workaround for it.

I'll keep looking.

I did try to assist you in another thread. What you didn't seem to understand is that with the phone, it won't work for all things. It isn't like with a computer where you can just hook it up to something and with a little tweaking it will work.

Phones don't work that way. They aren't meant to. The best you can try is to get one of the programs that allows running apps from a computer and this 'may' allow you to run those via the computer while connected to the phone. No guaranty as they can be hit or miss.

If, however, you are just trying to get the phone to do everything via the computer's speakers and mic, but not run anything through the computer itself, I know of no way to do it.

Were you to just connect an external mic and speaker, that you could do. But not what you are suggesting.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.