used laptop specification inquiry

Mar 9, 2019
I am looking to buy a refurbished laptop.

The sole purpose for it is running Microsoft Access 2003.

I'll probably also install the complete Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and a newer version of Access, if it's cost effective - I can run 2 versions of Access on my work computer, so I am assuming I can run them both on a personal laptop, too).

Can someone guide me as to the minimal configuration I would need on a laptop to suit my purposes? I know my Access databases require a lot of storage space, but I have no idea how much is sufficient.

I am also not sure on CPU, RAM, and what version Windows I should get.

I am not expecting it to be a Cadillac (as I do not want to spend a lot on it) but I want to purchase one that runs MS Access smoothly (can accommodate the storage space needed, run queries at a reasonable speed, etc).

Also, is anyone of aware of any refurbished laptop suppliers that sell laptops with the MS Office suite already installed?

Thank you for your help!

I'm still runnng MS Office 2003 on an XP netbook and a desktop with Windows 7 in charge. If you don't have the CD with the programme it's going to be hit or miss when buying a used laptop in the hope it has that suite installed.

Another option is running XP in a Virtual Machine in any other version of Windows just to run Office. Also, you could download the free Libre Office, that can open and work with all your Word documents , Excel spreadsheets Powerpoint presentations and Access databases.