Using a GPU to render with Apophysis/Flam3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoBzzz

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Hello everyone,

I'm guessing this is a rather complicated question and would require pretty detailed knowledge of apophysis and/or flam3 but I guess I'll ask anyways.

I recently started messing around with animating fractals and such and I found this nice tutorial that showed me how to generate an animation that morphs a series of fractals into coherent clip (tutorial: http://www.biomorphica.com/apophysis/animTutorial/).
Basically what it does is I make 4 or 5 fractals in Apophysis (or however many I like) and then run a script that uses flam3 to "fill in the spaces" between the pictures to produce a coherent morphing animation. It looks pretty darn cool (I uploaded the one that I let take the time to render http://hosted.filefront.com/BoBz89) but it takes for EVER to render the individual fractals at higher quality/resolution. Each of the 300 frames in the movie I uploaded took upwards of 4 minutes to render.

So my question is as follows: I know that one can use the GPU instead of the CPU to render fractals and the difference in speed is like night and day. But I have no clue how to even approach this problem. If per chance there is someone reading this who knows how to do something like this, any help would be much appreciated :D

And if it matters/helps, I'm using a T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo (2.5ghz) and an 8600m GT.

Steffwiz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Don't know if you still need this or if this is good enough for you, but I found this program that runs off of CUDA, Nvidia's Graphics Card Processor thingy.

Google it, it's called Flam4CUDA. You'll need the most recent driver for your graphics card, and the CUDA software from Nvidia.com.

I've personally rendered fractals on my GTX 295 as compared to my i7-920, and I can say that on my graphics card with the same settings is around 10 times faster.. consistently.

Hope this helps,
Steff

Status
Not open for further replies.