Using a Kingston Workspace USB loaded with my company software. Must change to Legacy Mode in bios for USB to be recognized.

Solution
OK so that BIOS setting will be a matter of finding the USB Legacy entry and enabling the facility. Then find the entry for Boot Order or Boot Sequence and change it from Hard Disk 0 (zero) and set the USB port to the top of the list.
That requires a change in BIOS settings to enable the machine to give power to the USB ports in advance of the Windows system giving that power.

You would only need to do that ifyou wanted your comany's software to take over from Windows by booting a system ahead of Windows and that could harm your own system.

Are you sure that's what you need to do to make use of their software?

Pennell

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

Pennell

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Yes, have been using HP pavilion as host computer for years. Spilled water on it so it is finished. Host computer will be totally dedicated to using USB. And you are right. The internal hard drive crashed a long time ago. Computer cannot boot windows from Legacy mode without eventually crashing Hard drive.

OK so that BIOS setting will be a matter of finding the USB Legacy entry and enabling the facility. Then find the entry for Boot Order or Boot Sequence and change it from Hard Disk 0 (zero) and set the USB port to the top of the list.

Solution

Pennell

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

Pennell

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
True. As I don't want to buy an expensive computer to host USB, I'm wondering an older processor, say i3, will slow down USB. Thanks for your input

Pennell

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Yes, you are right and it's refreshing to find someone who understands that once in Legacy mode, accessing Windows is not a good idea. Believe that is what crashed internal hard drive. My, probably dumb question is, "Does computer processor speed affect software on USB speed?".

There's no doubt that an i5 and i7 will improve everything in the box over an i3 but in terms of data transfer, it would take a very critical person to notice the difference.

So long as you have USB 3.0 that difference must be pretty close to unnoticeable.