using an external hard drive for intensive programs

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
I have an older laptop that works well, its running XP and only has a 60GB HDD which is an IDE. I would like to use it to run some music recording software but the small HDD will get eaten up quite rapidly I'm afraid. Is it possible for me to use a 1TB external drive that I have to run software programs off of? And if so is there anything I need to do to ensure I encounter as few problems as possible? Thanks so much for any suggestions and/or advice!

Solution
Hey there, 20725!

It is possible but it really depends on a lot of things! And unfortunately I don't think that the USB 2.0 connection of your system will be fast enough to run any big applications from the external. I'd suggest to read this article that basically explains the effects: http://ask-leo.com/can_i_install_programs_on_an_external_drive.html

My suggestion would be to consider upgrading the internal hard drive if the current capacity is not enough for your applications, and use the external for backup and data storage.

Hope this was helpful. Let us know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015

thanks for the reply!! USB2 as thats all the XP laptop affords

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, 20725!

It is possible but it really depends on a lot of things! And unfortunately I don't think that the USB 2.0 connection of your system will be fast enough to run any big applications from the external. I'd suggest to read this article that basically explains the effects: http://ask-leo.com/can_i_install_programs_on_an_external_drive.html

My suggestion would be to consider upgrading the internal hard drive if the current capacity is not enough for your applications, and use the external for backup and data storage.

Hope this was helpful. Let us know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015

Thanks so much for the reply!
The problem with an upgrade is that the Laptop HDD interface is IDE which limits the size upgrade due to availability. From the link you provided, if I understand well enough, I actually may be able to pull this off if I simply dedicate the external HDD to use only with the laptop, which shouldn't be a problem. As there is no internet connection available where the laptop will be used, (if I got this right) I can download the software to the ext. HDD, but not actually 'install' it until it's connected to the
Laptop. From that point forward, I'll just leave the ext HDD connected to the laptop. This is audio recording software and the recording interface is USB 2.0 so maybe the USB 2.0 connection to the ext drive will be fast enough not to cause 'latency' issues. Please advise if any of the prior statements (my way of thinking) are askew. Thanks again so much for your response!!!

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Hi again, 20725!

I guess you could give this a try, indeed! However, I wouldn't recommend keeping the external HDD connected to the laptop and actively using it all the time! USB external drives are designed to be used for backup/storage/etc. on your computer, but once you are done with the transfer you should safely remove the drive and give it a rest. Either way, once inactive the drive would spin down (in idle/sleep mode) and the regular wakeup might result in damage/corruption of the HDD. Unless, of course, the external is a desktop drive with additional AC adapter (power supply), then you shouldn't have any issues keeping the drive plugged in for as long as you wish.

Be careful and always keep backups of your data!
Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
Thanks guys for the advice! the application installed well with the room provided and the external works well with needed room for the tonnage of additional files/libraries/etc. that are needed for it to run. Appreciate your help! I would mark this solved but I'm not sure how. thanks again!!