Using camcorder(s) on video security system

New Tricks

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
I have an 8 channel video security camera system in my home ( Qsee QT 548)

I only use 4 channels for the exterior cameras.

I would like to utilize the remaining 4 channels inside my home audio recording studio to give me the ability to make low budget videos along with the audio recordings.

The Qsee cameras kind of work for this purpose, but not as good as I'd like. Even in the daytime, the quality is less than stellar and, as soon as the light levels go down in the evening, the cameras go to black and white. I assume this is the quality of the lens?

I have some old cameras/camcorders (Sony handy cam dcr-dvd201, Sony cybershot dsc-w45 and Canon powershot A590) which would provide me with better quality video but trying to adapt them is wearing me down so I am researching another avenue.

I've searched in vain at the local stores and online, trying to find a simple video camera with a camcorder quality picture. Ideally it has a BNC connector and a 12V power supply so it hooks up easily to the existing security DVR system.

Any thought or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, John

I don't know if this will work but you could try a BNC to RCA (Female RCA to Male BNC) adapter like this one or this one for any of the cameras you already have. This way you could at least test it out to see if it works. Camcorders with a BNC connector are in the $700+ range used.

New Tricks

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

Thanks! That's what I did and it does work. Fortunately I found the D shaped adapter cable for the AV output.

I still haven't gotten the picture quality I am hoping for (Gopro style) but it's a step in the right direction.

Good to hear that it works but sorry that you didn't get the quality you were hoping to get.