Using HyperX Cloud Headset w/ Astro Mixamp (XBox and PC) (Mother's Day Present for me Mum)

Abhorrence

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
Hey there ^_^

So my mom and I don't live together (yet) and she took up video games as a means to connect with me online in a way that we both find fun. Every night we play BF4 or CoD and we play with a group of people and we callout the enemy's location and we listen for footsteps. My mother and I were both using cheap Afterglow headsets for a while until last night when mine broke. (*tear*)

I wasn't able to get her a mother's day present and her birthday is coming up so I am planning on getting us both new headsets for use on our Xbox and my PC. Her K/D just surpassed 1.5 and I think she is ready for an upgrade in the headset department. I would like her to be able to use it with her Xbox, Phone, and Tablet with ease of use. She also mentioned that she wanted to buy a new headset but it would have to have surround sound so she can hear directional enemy movement and watch surround sound movies.

I was looking for headsets online that we could use for Xbox and PC for around the $100 mark as well as two Astro mixamps, one for the both of us. The reasoning behind the mixamp is simple. One, it has a virtual surround sound card onboard so she can have directional sound. Second, we can daisy chain our audio together, so when playing search and destroy, we can hear each other's voice even when dead. Third, from what I understand you can have multiple audio inputs (such as an iPod for music) and mix that in with your gameplay.

I am definitely biased towards the HyperX Cloud headset mostly due to the fact that I used my uncle's for about a week while he was on vacation and I loved it. I showed my mother how great the build quality was and the colour scheme and the leather ear cups, and she liked it better than I probably did. I will buy this headset. My only concern is that I am not sure if it will be compatible with the mixamp like the Astro A40 is. How will the chat cable work from the headset to the Xbox controller? From what I have seen, the headset's audio and mic jack plug into the front of the mixamp and the chat cable plugs from the mixamp to the controller with the included 6ft cable.

Also, does anyone have a better headset suggestion for around $100 that may be better than the Hyperx Cloud? Does anyone have experience with using a headset with the mixamp? Also, is the Astro A40 (without the mixamp) any different than a normal medium/high end headset?

Thanks for the help guys, I so truly appreciate it!!!

With awesomeness,

-Ryder

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
should be compatible though i've never tried this very combination.

the 4 pin jacks aren't always standard but in the worse case scenario you can use the splitter/y cables from both (as in split the stereo from the mixamp into 2 jacks - one headphones one mic, recombine with the y cable of the hyperx which can input from dual jacks with a combiner).

the mixamp would always get all the inputs and would output to headsets

Abhorrence

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
Thanks!

I am also concerned as to how the microphone would work. The Mic on the headset is 3.5mm and the jack on the controller is 2.5mm.

Would I need a 3.5mm Female to 2.5mm Male adapter or does the mixamp receive it as 3.5mm anyways and outputs with a 2.5mm jack? Thanks

Leesh_

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

I'm really looking into this and I was wondering if you ended up getting the HyperX cloud with the Astro mixamp and if if works for the sound and mic?