Using Optical Bay HDD Caddy for main HDD

patelb14

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
So I recently read the article on installing a 2nd HDD using an Optical Bay HDD Caddy. I searched around for quite a while, but I couldn't find an answer to the following question:
Is it possible to use the Optical Bay HDD Caddy to install my main(and only) HDD?

The reason why I ask is because my sony vaio laptop recently died. When I took it to Canada Computers, they tested it and said that it was most likely due to a faulty SATA connector on the motherboard side (although they don't know for sure...).

Here is a link to the thread that lists all the problems and attempts to solve it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=35&post=73192&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

To summarize; when the issue first started, it powered on but would freeze at the windows logo (wouldn't even show the logo... animation started and froze very quickly..showing only a couple of colourful pixels). Tried repair disks, reinstalling windows, reformatting hdd (by hooking it up to desktop), loading Linux from live CDs, etc.. but all of them would freeze/stall at some point while loading.

I feel like it could also be a problem with the graphics cards. But assuming that it is not... would the optical bay caddy work as a primary hdd?