Using PC speakers with Vizio TV - connection options?

wnat35

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
Hi folks,

I just got a Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 2.1 system that I was hoping to use with my Vizio E390i-A1. The CA system's only input is 3.5mm and it has no remote. My TV has RCA (red/white) and optical audio outputs. I thought I could get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and plug the audio system into the TV and be able to control the volume through the TV remote, but I haven't been able to make it work.

My TV has options for fixed and variable. Fixed works through the CA system but I can't control the volume; variable works only through the TV speakers and not the CA system.

Would I be able to use an optical to 3.5mm adapter and be able to control the volume through the TV?

If not, do I have any options other than buying a receiver? I wanted this as an inexpensive upgrade to the TV speakers, so additional equipment is out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Audio out is not volume controlled by the TV. You have to change volume using the speaker system controller. Same with a receiver.

wnat35

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
For anyone finding this via Google, I was able to control the volume using the remote by plugging an RCA-3.5mm adapter cable into the aux port on the speaker system.