Using Realtek with 4.1 speakers - no subwoofer output

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanclub

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
I have a motherboard H61M-DG3/USB3 with inbuilt Realtek (5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec) and am trying to get it to work correctly with my Cambridge SoundWorks FourPointSurround 4.1 speakers.

(I previously had a X-Fi XtremeGamer card but no using it as my old motherboard died and the new one can't support a separate audio card).

In RealTek HD Audio Manager, there's no 4.1 option. Instead there are:

• ■ Quadrophonic
    ■ 5.1 Speakers

With the first, there's no sub-woofer output at all, unsurprisingly. The front and rear speakers worked fine when tested by clicking the individual speakers in the graphic on the right hand of the control panel.

I then tried 5.1, but in the "Optional Speakers" pane, I turned "Center" off and both "Subwoofer" and "Rear Pair" on, hoping I would get output on my front and rear speakers and my subwoofer.

The front and rear speakers do work fine, but there is no subwoofer sound at all.

Is this because the Realtek card expects the subwoofer input to be on a separate cable? When I look at the "Jack Information" pane of the speaker properties, I see the following:

"C Sub (()) (pink jack socket) Rear Panel 3.5mm Jack"

Now, the Cambridge SoundWorks FourPointSurround 4.1 speakers simply have a front and rear jack. Both of these cables go into the subwoofer itself, to which are connected the four cables for the front and rear speakers. The subwoofer component itself doesn't have a dedicated cable/jack.

Any help appreciated,

P.

Solution
That's because the sub has no separate input. It must derive it from the front speakers and just run a filter to filter out the bass and play it, so there is dedicated sub channel and really it's a 4.0 system. Not even sure the best way to use it with a PC.
That's because the sub has no separate input. It must derive it from the front speakers and just run a filter to filter out the bass and play it, so there is dedicated sub channel and really it's a 4.0 system. Not even sure the best way to use it with a PC.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.