USPTO Considers 'Secrecy Order' for Significant Patents

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Either you can't claim infringement (which removes the point of a patent), or you can (which removes the point of a patent being public and likely unconstitutional somewhere because it is flat out impossible to tell an act is illegal before doing it).

Either way this sounds horrible.

G

So I can be sued by the government for patent infringement without knowing the details of the patient I'm infringing on?!?

BRILLIANT!!!

USA, Land of the poor, home of the couch potatoes. ;P

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
How about making any patent valid for the first fives years after registration, and then let it become free/public. This will give the original person/company a head start, to make as much cash as possible. After five years, competition will be introduced to advance that patented technology to new levels by anybody. If the original company decides to abandon that tech, others will build on it. Or if the original company becomes lazy, others will improve it. I think this will advance things a lot.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
...When that patent expires (after 5 years, for example), whoever continues the work, should credit the original creators. But nobody should be able to sue anyone, or pay any fees, as long as the right people's names are credited, as the original creators + those who worked on improving it.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]...When that patent expires (after 5 years, for example), whoever continues the work, should credit the original creators. But nobody should be able to sue anyone, or pay any fees, as long as the right people's names are credited, as the original creators + those who worked on improving it.[/citation]

This is how patents already work - they expire after 24 years. In the tech world, this is a lifetime. In other worlds, like pharmaceuticals, this is short. It takes upwards of 5-10 years for a drug to get discovered, just as long to get it through human trials, and by then there is only like 4-6 years of actual useful patent defense for the company to recover it's money and make profit.

The business of technology has changed greatly in the last 30 years, but the patent laws need to catch up. Perhaps grant varying patent lengths for different industries? Some kind of innovation in the patent law is needed, because we can all agree the absurdities of patent trolls buying technology simply to take money from other people.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
^ No, patents are usually enforceable for 20 years from the date of filing. If due to some delays in the Patent Office, the term can be extended for each day of the delay.

Also, patent owners have to pay maintenance fees several times during the lifetime of the patent, or else they expire and anyone is then free to make & use the claimed invention.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
If this is about protecting American interests.. good luck with Obama's administration. This is the administration that is continually forging plans for a cross-regional 'trade' agreement with other countries.. they are hell-bent on destroying barriers rather than protecting them for the benefit of the electorate. Look up North American Union on Google. Bit by bit, under the veil of stealth and propaganda, some might say that this administration has successfully patented the destruction of a nation and its constitutional rights. All they need to do is package it the right way including labeling it as something else so that they can, by law, keep it under lock and key. Hell, look at all the tax dollars that get traded in certain ways, and wasted in certain ways.. they answer to nobody.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
"detrimental to the nation's economic security" my ass! It will make money for a few and fk with everyone else!!! Only way to do it right is end the patent system and set the ppl free =D

hfeshadow

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Or here's a brilliant idea, instead of considering this new plan how about making the patent process take a couple days versus 5 freaking years. Hire more people? Use a business model that works? Just saying....

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom]Either you can't claim infringement (which removes the point of a patent), or you can (which removes the point of a patent being public and likely unconstitutional somewhere because it is flat out impossible to tell an act is illegal before doing it).Either way this sounds horrible.[/citation]

Hit the nail on the head in one. That is exactly what I was thinking about while reading this article, the whole "How the hell am I supposed to know if I am infringing on a patent if it is secret?" argument.

It's getting to the point where I think that patents need to disappear. Patents on complete products (even if you only make one tester copy) okay, but none of these piecemeal patents.

Status
Not open for further replies.