uTorrent, BitTorrent Sued For Patent Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Patent Troll. I'm going to patent "A means of transportation that allows for variable acceleration and the ability to stop at any destination the user desires" and sue all the car/truck/bus/boat/bike manufacturer. These are the dumbest patents ever and they shouldn't be allowed.

randomizer

Distinguished
Even if this is successful, it won't destroy P2P file sharing. I doubt that the average person downloading Linux distributions is going to give a damn about patents from a company that they've never heard of.

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Now lets see here... TheP2P technology that the Torrent is based on is older than 1999, but then the US Patent Office neither knows nor cares, especially if somoene has slipped them a few under the table.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
If patent troll wins does that mean the RIAA and MPAA get to sue patent troll because patent troll allowed its patents to be used to distribute unlawful copies of media?

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]BWMerlin[/nom]If patent troll wins does that mean the RIAA and MPAA get to sue patent troll because patent troll allowed its patents to be used to distribute unlawful copies of media?[/citation]

now thats funny. give someone else the heat from the RIAA and MPAA :)

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Just had a read of their patent, its based on Server/client situation, where all the data still resides on the server, and just receives data back from the clients on better ways to deliver the data. Nowhere does it say that the clients distribute data between each other or a tracker/seed/peer style setup. this has IMO no relation to how bitorrent works and should be thrown out of court

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]BWMerlin[/nom]If patent troll wins does that mean the RIAA and MPAA get to sue patent troll because patent troll allowed its patents to be used to distribute unlawful copies of media?[/citation]

Reminds me of the women who claimed she owned the sun, and was sending letters to everyone in the world who benefited from the suns energy asking for compensation for using the energy from her sun, well the same thing can be done in reverse, all the people who got sun cancer. crops that die from drought.. should all also sue her for damages.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I can see how this may negatively influence the company's operations, but I don't see how this can affect the case against MPAA/RIAA. If guilty its patent infringement, not copyright infringement.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Patenting software is retarded. It's code, a language, do we patent languages now? Patents were meant to protect peoples ideas turned product. I don't see this dipshit with a product, until then patents should be useless. Companies like Rambus making billions off nothing would die in a second.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
here is the thing.

if someone has a product, and they want to patent the innovative way they handle something, than they deserve it, in tech, how many 14-20 year old pieces of tech do we still really use? (14-20 years is how long patent protection lasts)

lets say that i create a new os, and its damn good because of the way it works. i would seak pattens on the parts that are really good, because i dont want competition to use my ideas and potential outsell me.

i dont come up with an idea on a crapper, and decide to patent the idea without having any form of a working model at LEAST in development.

but thats what tech patents more or less are, and thats why pattens need to change for the tech world at the very least.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
This patent is referring to files stored centrally on a server which we all know is not how torrents work. Silly troll. Would like to know who is really behind this as the location the patent mentions is 00 Pine St., San Francisco, CA 94108, at phone number 415-263-0949 and it looks to be empty. I smell someone is trying to shut torrents down via a 3rd party so they don't get their hands dirty.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]What a joke. The fact that this doesn't get immediately dismissed is proof our patent laws need fixing.[/citation]
our non physical tech patents.
its rare to have actual engineering patents be as BS as this is.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Tranz-Send's patent, "Media file distribution with adaptive transmission protocols" which was finally granted in November 2007, describes a file-sharing system consisting of a file database, a transfer client and a distribution server that doesn't necessarily describe the way BitTorrent tosses data around between clients.

Well, by the looks of things I hope they patented bullshit because they sure seem to be shoveling something.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Sounds more like the mafIAA try a new strategy to get at the torrent sites and frankly its getting tiresome that they don't care about what the consequences to everyone. The torrent itself is a neutral protocol that allow distribution of ANY file, its up to the person who creates the torrent to include whatever files they want so why not go after them?

What will the mafIAA attempt next? Try to shut down the internet perhaps, its common protocols http and ftp can be used to send illegal music. Why not the electricity too, it can also be used to play illegal music.

More and more musicians have started to distribute their own music and i'm greatful for that, knowing the money i spend purchasing their music gets to them, not the organization that only halts progress in the name of proffit!

Status
Not open for further replies.