V-MODA Crossfade M-100 vs Sennheiser Momentum

ksham

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
I've tried both and I vote for the VMODA Crossfade M-100. It's more comfortable, better build quality, and has great audio quality with fantastic strong bass. If you're not the person to like bass much, then Sennheiser. The M-100 is great for any type of music genre outside of pure high vocals. Rock, pop, electronica, techno, metal, country, new age (a bit), etc. are all great on the M-100. Sound leakage on the M100 is also very minimal. On vocal tracks, it leaks more at medium volume. On everything else, you can blast it and very little sound leaks.

I love my M100.

Ekirei

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks for the message. i really cant decide between them. From what ive read the m-100 are more punchy in the bass department with the momentums being more neutral. Built quality and aesthetics i dont see anything between them, i love the look of both, and each one seems to have a very good build quality. I imagine it will boil down to which sounds better for my taste and their comfort, 2 things i cant assertain without getting my hands on both. Hence the drawback of internet shopping :p I was actually leaning towards the sennheiser momentum, but had reservations that the m100 would just be more fun listening! :p

ksham

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Depends on if you like the heavy bass of the M100. Some people don't like it. Sennheiser is great. I've had a few sets from them and have no been disappointed.

Here's my ranking:

Aesthetics: V-MODA (my opinion -- it looks great and you can have your own design on the shields)
Build quality: V-MODA (no contest)
Closed: Sennheiser (less leakage)
Comfort: Sennheiser (while wearing, but the sliding is annoying! Clipped my hair a few times accidentally.)
Controls: Sennheiser
Portability: V-MODA (smaller case -- and the headphones can be folded in)
Sound quality: V-MODA

The one other thing V-MODA headphones may be worth it is their detachable headphones from the wire. Sennheiser has never really caught on to that idea. It's really a cool idea. And the V-MODA one comes with a jack on both sides of the headphones so you can plug into either side, or both if you like to listen to different tracks or if you're recording -- vocals on one end and mix on the other.

valkolton

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Hi, I am the CEO and founder of V-MODA, Val Kolton.

I won't be biased but I have listened and used both extensively, of course (for years in the case of M-100!).

I'd add these differences to consider in the list:

1) M-100 is 3.5mm vs 2.5mm headphone port in earcup (make your own conclusions why the 3.5mm may be superior for you ;>)
2) soundstage - very different, imagine where the instruments are coming from
3) DJ/Gaming/multi-use - M-100 has coiled cable and gaming mics available in a few days, as well is perfect for DJ use out of the box with 1/4" adapter
4) size of carry case, folding for portability

Val Kolton
V-MODA CVO, Founder
Veni. Vidi. Vici.

Ratbones

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

Simon Curtis

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
A) I love that someone is passionate enough about his company's product to frequent hardware forums and directly respond to potential customers pondering where to spend their hard-earned money. That is amazing in and of itself.

B) Also amazing, are the M100s, in every single way. Just bought my first pair several weeks ago, I work in music and listen to dozens of songs on dozens of different headphones, and I can safely say they are the best-sounding, most luxurious headphones I've ever placed on my ears. While I've not yet tried the Momentums, I simply can't imagine that they'd best the M100s. They're made entirely of metal, leather, and kevlar, and sound like... heaven. Seriously. They're the closest thing to sitting in a recording studio, listening to the music blast and dance around your head in the way that only studio monitors can typically achieve, that I've ever listened to.

Go for the M100s.