Vaio will not boot from CD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

abottig

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Vaio laptop.

Internal Optical Drive is set as the first boot device in BIOS. CD Drive accepts discs, and you can hear it spin up... I've tried booting from Vista CD and UBCD. No luck.

The screen does not display "Press any key to boot from CD..."

Very strange. Any ideas?

EDIT:
I have also excluded all other devices from booting. I am left with a message reading "Operating System not found."

Solution
Ok, I finally figured this out. The problem is that the more modern Vaio BIOSs support UEFI booting by default. This is the modern way and works great with Win 7-64. Commercial disks such as Windows installers carefully put both formats on the disk so they work in any machine. But if you create a bootable CD yourself, it likely won't. I was creating a HDClone bootable disk and these will not be bootable under UEFI. When I tested my bootable disk I did so on a machine that didn't happen to support UEFI so I just assumed my disk was fine.

Luckily the Vaio has a setting for Legacy boot. Once I set that, it booted from the optical drive no problem.

I notified Sony support so maybe someone else will be spared these problems. I guess I do...

Greek7

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
Put an USB DVD-ROM and insert your prefered OS Disk Go.Press Power button ,Then go to Bios-with F2 on startup- and in Boot order make disable all-By press X for all device- save all and exit-or press F10.