Vaio Z i5 vs. i7

cskoler

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hello,

I am considering picking up the recently updated (Ivy Bridge) Sony Vaio Z. I'm excited because despite being extremely thin and light, the Vaio Z uses a standard-voltage processor, unlike most ultrabooks, and it also has a 13" 1080p screen. My question is, will I notice a difference when gaming (or during other tasks) between the i5 and the i7 CPUs? I know it just uses integrated graphics, but will upgrading to the i7 boost FPS by a considerable amount in games? And is it worth the extra $150?

Thanks everyone.

-Charlie

-> If there wasn't any 'difference' between the two CPUs no one would choose the more expensive option.
How much difference depends a lot on the software (or game) and how the laptop is used (single program or multi-tasking).

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I dont know for sure that it will make a big difference because they are using integrated graphics. I dont feel that either would do great graphically. you might get decent fps on low and maybe medium settings depending on the game

cskoler

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

I'm not asking if there's a difference, I'm asking if there will be a noticeable, worthwhile difference when playing games. Ignore the "or during other tasks."

cskoler

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
it's also depends which it i5 and i7 models. There are I7 models that have the same 2/4 cores (2 'real' + 2 'HT') - you'll see that they are marked with only an "M" in the end, instead of "QM" for the Quads (4/8)

Anyway, in most cases it's not very important. I my self wouldn't bother with it, especially because you only use integrated GPU which will be the main factor that games will run only on low to medium settings on your laptop.
The i7 on this is a true quad-core.