Valve Still Not Interested in the PlayStation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
not surprising, many developers have stated over and over again, programming for the PS3 is no cake walk and for developers with such high caliber would rather not risk their reputation just to jump onto another platform just because they want that market if it means a really bad port.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom] developers with such high caliber would rather not risk their reputation just to jump onto another platform just because they want that market if it means a really bad port.[/citation]

And if your name is EA developing and publishing any old crap is good enough just so long as it makes a quick buck *points at the PS3 port of the Orange Box*. It's good to see there are developers out there who can see past their profit margins and stake their reputation on quaility products.

chuenl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Why you want to make 1 game for PS3, but with same amount of time and make 2 games for Xbox 360 and PC?

Well, maybe if you support the almighty Sony, your game will get into the front page with a future release of new favors/colors of the Sony PS3/PS4 console. This way, you get free advertising deal for supporting them! Win-Win?

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
By "more straightforward" he means easily portable between
PC and X-Box 360. It's more or less just C#. I can't say I blame them from a financial stand-point or development standpoint.

Still, even though coding language is going to only become more and more 'elegant', the hardware architecture is going to continue to become more and more complex. I guess they don't see any future in the archeticture (or archeticture style) of the PS3. So long as I don't hear 'architecture is too complex'.

I wonder if the Open CL will help push devs to work on the PS3 (since it has native support, I believe).

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
PC is still a better platform for Source engine games. You get more custom maps, upgrades, etc on PC than on XBOX. Well...xbox gets like 0 custom maps. Although I do prefer playing the Valve maps in TF2 anyways. Also I run my 360 in 1080i and my PC in 1080p and TF2 looks so much better on PC and also all the Source games seem to run better on PC than on the 360 in general, graphics are more fluid. Just seems like console always veers toward the low-end especially since PS3 and Xbox360 are outdated hardware by now by age.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
The PS3 is becoming more of a Blu-ray player and less of a gaming console. And everybody knows the Cell processor is a pain in the a** for developers. Microsoft could put one nail in the PS3's coffin by launching a Blu-ray unit for the X360. But that would mean someone is "actually" using his/her brains at Microsoft. Too much to ask, maybe...

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I actually respect Gabe on his stance, why would they spend twice or more resources developing for a game console just because the executives of that company decided to make it harder to code on purpose.

Besides that, they aren't even the #1 on the market....so Sony get your ass of that pedestal and start thinking about your customers.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Aionism[/nom]Now if they would just lose interest in the Xbox 360 and focus on PC completely...[/citation]

Not gonna happen,the money right now is on the xbox 360...we at least should thankful of how much valve supports the pc market when other companies don't give a crap.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I've never heard more FUD in my life. All you expert programmers with time to troll game sites. with well over 15 million units the PS3 is well worth the investment as many OTHER reputable develoopers DO choose to release games for the PS3. Want to see a great game, check out the many exclusives for the PS3 and you'll see some great examples. Its those exclusives that don't shackle the PS3 that really make it shine above the competition.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]kiniku[/nom]I've never heard more FUD in my life. All you expert programmers with time to troll game sites. with well over 15 million units the PS3 is well worth the investment as many OTHER reputable develoopers DO choose to release games for the PS3. Want to see a great game, check out the many exclusives for the PS3 and you'll see some great examples. Its those exclusives that don't shackle the PS3 that really make it shine above the competition.[/citation]

Well worth the investment my ass. 25 million PS3s < 30 million Xbox 360s < 50 million Wiis < billions of PCs. Any developer who wants to make money is going after PCs first and then Wiis. Most of the PC stuff will make it to Xbox 360 (and vice versa because of Microsoft). PS3 is the bottom of the food chain. Yeah sure, Killzone 2 is great, but for every Killzone 2, the PC has ten more better games.

aaronb09

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
PS3 still has the best exclusive line up hands down.. And one of if not the best first party support.. I could care less if valve doesnt want to learn the PS3 to me that just make me like them less, if you are not willing to learn a new code and figure out a problem then why the hell are you a programmer? with nearly 24 million PS3s out there i think it would be in the best interest to learn how to program for it xbox has what 30 million? I hardly consider that a huge lead to be giving xbox all this glory and i cant imagin how many of those sales are from REBOUGHT xboxs from the countless red rings.. Besides FPS's will always be better on PCs, the hardware alone will render and run games better, no Frame rate issues and not being able to change settings to fix it like in a console makes it a big turn off for me considering soo many next gen games have frame rate issues now and still charge 60$ for a incomplete game.. I love my PS3 and my PC, I tried 360 after the 3rd one broke and microsoft said i had to wait 8 weeks i said F this system.. until M$ releases some good 1st party titles other then the milked Halo series..

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]Well worth the investment my ass. 25 million PS3s < 30 million Xbox 360s < 50 million Wiis < billions of PCs. Any developer who wants to make money is going after PCs first and then Wiis. Most of the PC stuff will make it to Xbox 360 (and vice versa because of Microsoft). PS3 is the bottom of the food chain. Yeah sure, Killzone 2 is great, but for every Killzone 2, the PC has ten more better games.[/citation]

You can't be serious. You couldn't possibly be more inaccurate.

Let's just look at game sales for 2008.

PC sales: Retail sales of $701 million in 2008. No information on digital sales but let's assume digital sales equaled retail sales for a grand total of $1.4 billion in 2008.

Console sales: $5.29 billion. Oh, wait, that is December alone. My bad. Console sales for the year hit $21.33 billion. That is $20 billion LESS a year.

$21.33 billion > $1.4 billion. Which market would you rather be in?

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-nintendo-drives-08-industry-sales-past-21-billion-/?biz=1&page=1

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-pc-game-sales-fall-14-in-2008/?biz=1

G

In those billion pc's how many are gaming pc's mister analist ? and how much of those download games on thaz torentz ?

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I don't blame Valve for holding a stance against an over-complicated system. Perhaps acts like this will make companies think things through a bit more.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]You can't be serious. You couldn't possibly be more inaccurate. Let's just look at game sales for 2008.PC sales: Retail sales of $701 million in 2008. No information on digital sales but let's assume digital sales equaled retail sales for a grand total of $1.4 billion in 2008.Console sales: $5.29 billion. Oh, wait, that is December alone. My bad. Console sales for the year hit $21.33 billion. That is $20 billion LESS a year. $21.33 billion > $1.4 billion. Which market would you rather be in? http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ [...] z=1&page=1http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ [...] 008/?biz=1[/citation]

I highly disagree with your assumption about digital sales. Ever here of MMOs? Steam? All of that stuff is bought digitally. In January of 2008, WoW alone had over 10 million subscribers and that's over a year ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft#Reception

How much does it cost to play WoW a year? At $20 a month, a year costs $240. So how much money does WoW bring in over the course of the year? $24 billion. That is WoW alone, and going by numbers from January 2008.

Perhaps you should rethink what you are saying before you make statements like "You couldn't possibly be more inaccurate". Clearly, you are the one who knows little about which they speak!

Facts, figures, and objective evidence aside, if console sales are so much greater than PC sales, then why is the title of this article "Valve not interested in PS3" and not "Valve not interested in PC"?

haricotvert

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
WoW has been and continues to be $15 a month, and less when you pay in 3- or 6-month increments. Unless you were including the cost of the game itself + all necessary expansions to play it... it's not $20 a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.