Valve's Source SDK Now Supports Oculus Rift

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
@eklipz330 : Until it becomes delayed somehow...

As much as I would like to see a version 1.0 of some new hardware released on-time, and bug-free... it is abnormal to have it occur in the PC industry. Oculus would be the exception, a welcome one, but still an exception.

It's all hype until it ships.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
The Dev kits have already shipped, I should expect to see mine in about a week. They still have a bit go to with the retail version, they need higher resolution and will need to tweak some of its features based on what I have read on the forums but most of the feedback from the developer community that has received the dev kits up to this point have been very positive.

I think the most positive thing so far is that Oculus just received about $16 million in funding, and the founders of the company have been fairly strait forward that the retail version is still a work in progress and that they would rather wait and release it with a good library of games to support it.

I think it has a good likely hood that the game library will exist, just because they have had very good feedback from the industry not just interested consumers. Valve has ported half-life 2, team fortress 2 and now added further support to the Source SDK. Unity 3D the game development platform has added support for the Rift, as well as the Unreal Development Kit and support for the Unreal Engine 4.

They appear to be getting industry support, that is a good first step. Only time will tell, but they have started on a good path.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Oh, and there is no release date for the retail version. It can be hoped that 2014 will see a retail Rift, but they might take their time to do it right rather than rush it to market. They showed a 1080p prototype off at E3 this year, they had the 720p dev kit last year and they shipped those this year. So who knows, maybe a Retail 1080p will see light next year. It would be cool.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I can wait till 2015 if its actually as good as they are saying.

Maybe its just me, but a good (and i mean a DAMN GOOD) Virtual Reality can multiply sales on PC by 50. Can you imagine walking in the Citadel in mass effect? (Not to mention Miranda, in the engine room; Liara, etc).

Or beeing in a tropical island while wearing a nanosuit? Assuming it can run Crysis.
Or playing Splinters cell and following your target with your head in the dark (eye tracking will probably be required here).
And how about mirrors Edge ?

So many posibilities :D.

dolores49653547

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Kayla. I see what you mean... Mike`s report is impressive, last week I bought a great Jaguar E-type from making $9163 this-last/5 weeks and in excess of ten grand lass month. with-out a doubt this is the nicest work I've ever had. I actually started five months/ago and straight away startad making more than $81 per hour. I went to this web-site,........... www.Jam10.ℂom

dolores49653547

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Kayla. I see what you mean... Mike`s report is impressive, last week I bought a great Jaguar E-type from making $9163 this-last/5 weeks and in excess of ten grand lass month. with-out a doubt this is the nicest work I've ever had. I actually started five months/ago and straight away startad making more than $81 per hour. I went to this web-site,........... www.Jam10.ℂom

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Is the crosshair locked to the viewport (ie do you need to turn your head to aim)?

I would only like this product if I can aim the crosshair with the mouse, independently from where I look.

chugot9218

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hixbot, I believe if you watch the TF2 video that highlights the use of the Rift, it has multiple modes, cross hair can be locked or independent, a couple other modes I cannot specifically recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.