Verizon: 2.1 Update not Really "Delayed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogman

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I just want them to support Exchange security features like a pin and remote wipe. Until then, I can't use my Droid on my company's mail.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
It's a little disappointing that it isn't out yet, but it's really not that big of a deal. I would much rather wait for a bug free update than get an immediate update that bricks my phone. People just need to learn some patients really.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Actually, 2.1 is not "to be released"; it's already out there, as proven by Nexus One and other phones coming up.
The real problem with the Droid (and the Milestone, which is the GSM flavor) is the locked bootloader that prevents users from getting custom ROMs and third-party software on it. One can find a lot of complaints on Motorola forums about this and is the main reason people are choosing HTC-based phones. Moto is really losing quite a customer base with this attitude.

insaneclowngod

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Actually, 2.1 is not "to be released"; it's already out there, as proven by Nexus One and other phones coming up.
The nexus one is the only phone that has the official 2.1 update. So yes 2.1 is about to be released for the droid, which is what this article is obviously about.

One can find a lot of complaints on Motorola forums about this and is the main reason people are choosing HTC-based phones. Moto is really losing quite a customer base with this attitude.

I can also find many complaints about what ever phone i want to. Motorola is doing fine, I love my droid and the service.

G

You can load one of the leaked versions like I did on my Eris

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Chesusss[/nom]You can load one of the leaked versions like I did on my Eris[/citation]
not on the Moto Droid; the bootloader has not been unlocked, as Moto denied access to it from the beginning.
Eris= HTC, not Moto.[citation][nom]insaneclowngod[/nom]The nexus one is the only phone that has the official 2.1 update. So yes 2.1 is about to be released for the droid, which is what this article is obviously about. I can also find many complaints about what ever phone i want to. Motorola is doing fine, I love my droid and the service.[/citation]
Dude, I used to love my Razr; of course, I had it hacked and loaded with custom made Rom so it would be 10 times better/faster that the stock. By not allowing the devs to play with their Droid, Moto is actually turning away a lot of potential programmers that would help make a good device better. That's what I'm talking about, it's not about being a fan of this or that manufacturer. In fact, even the Experia or any other Android-based phone out there can be modded after an unlock of the loader. Doing that opens up a whole new universe of apps that are not "official", but are at least as good as the ones on the Market.
You can love your phone as much as you want, but you will never know what it is capable of until you unleash it's whole potential. And it's a shame, because specs-wise, it's a good device. I was planning to get one myself until I did some research about it. No locked phones for me, but if you can accept it, then by all means...

brando56894

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
G

doc70 : what are you talking about? I have had 2.1 on my droid for weeks now. The droid is completely unlocked and rooted.. the milestone is not.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]brando56894[/nom]Everyone can still get android 2.1 (and a lot more!) but it takes a little work I did it to my droid, but use a modified version of 2.1 and have my droid overclocked from 550 mhz (stock) to 1.1 ghz (highest ive seen is 1.3 ghz) so it crashes occasionally but it works flawlessly for other people.Check it out: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/h [...] n-etc.html[/citation]Why in the world would you want to make that phone more battery hungry and less reliable? What killer app for the phone only runs on 1+ Ghz overclocked models?

G

Why is pinch zoom "much-needed"? The existing system is really easy to use one-handed, which is more than I can say for pinch zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS