Verizon Accused of Remotely Controlling Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
They have to fix the auto-focus. The government spies who watch you through your phones camera don't like watching blurry video...

/tinfoilhat

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
This sounds almost as good as the old 'phase of the moon bug' in a LISP program at MIT. I doubt if the auto-focus has the time in it, but rather a timestamp prepared to save with the photo overruns a buffer and stomps on something the auto-focus routine needs.

Note that 24.5 days is very close to 2^^31 milliseconds. Probably a signed/unsigned math bug causing the problem.
(Could also be an exception trap throwing off RT scheduling of the auto-focus, but that's pure speculation since I don't know much about embedded phone programming.)

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I can't help if its a RNG that uses the timestamp based seed for the autofocus PID loop starting point. Granted, I'm looking at is as a ChemE and not an EE, so it could lots of things. I remember that being an issue years ago on KOTOR I on the original xbox, if your system date was a date was a day that the game actually didn't exist yet (like Jan 1, 1990 or whatever) the loot generator would cause the system to crash when you opened up a box.

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
DUUUH I have an DSLR and I make sure I check the time EVERYTIME I use autofocus. If YOUR not then your a ....................

/HEADDESK

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Now this is weird, seriously, can any1 please explain why an auto-focus need to be date related? There is no need for a camera to have access to time and date, you may need auto-shoot, but that would only need an clock counter (not sure about how to call it) not a full clock and calendar LOL

I may be wrong, but this is like if the microphone to work properly the time and date of the phone need to be correct.

Sorry for my english

G

Photo files have a date and time stamp built into the exif file. It also can be used to sync the photo with a gps location based on the time the photo was taken.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]They have to fix the auto-focus. The government spies who watch you through your phones camera don't like watching blurry video.../tinfoilhat[/citation]
Funny but something like that coming from the FEDS would not surprise me in the least.

mirkos

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
"There's a rounding-error bug in the camera driver's auto-focus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes auto-focus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle,"

I don't think that this is accurate. the true problem was:
"asynchronous inode failure" or "parallel processors running perpendicular" or anything else you can figure out from the Excuse Board

But clearly Verizon DIDN'T snuck in through the back door and secretly corrected the issue.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I think michaelzehr hit it on the head. They probably use the timestamp just as a randomizer for something, and unfortunately when that timestamp has the high-bit set (or when it doesn't) it screws with their calculations.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
When you have an embedded piece of software it is more efficient to call current time and compare it the the previous time that section of code was accessed. The alternative is asking the OS to keep track of when you should access which isn't consistent or efficient.

They do this for any number of reasons. The biggest reason is they don't want the auto focus to auto focus every time the code loops (why auto focus 1000 times a second and bog down the interface when 2 times a second in more than enough and allows for more time for gui processing).

How you can screw something up like that and get a negative number ever month for a month is beyond me. Miss placed if/else statement?

counselmancl

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
We need a cyber bill of rights to combat this intrusiveness. Just because I own a product, that does not give the manufacturer or service provider the right to surreptitiously access it in any way, form or fashion. All interactions should be visible and approved. Burying the authorization somewhere in an obscure twenty page license agreement doesn’t count.

The more we allow ourselves to become comfortable with such actions the less secure we will be in our possessions or privacy. As the world moves towards a more data dominated society we can no longer consider these actions anything less than a provocation. Don’t stand for it!!! This leads nowhere good.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]We need a cyber bill of rights to combat this intrusiveness. Just because I own a product, that does not give the manufacturer or service provider the right to surreptitiously access it in any way, form or fashion. All interactions should be visible and approved. Burying the authorization somewhere in an obscure twenty page license agreement doesn’t count. The more we allow ourselves to become comfortable with such actions the less secure we will be in our possessions or privacy. As the world moves towards a more data dominated society we can no longer consider these actions anything less than a provocation. Don’t stand for it!!! This leads nowhere good.[/citation]You should really try to read the article first and not just post your feelings based on the title alone. There was no intrusion. It was some ridiculously inferior coding with timestamps.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Counselmancl has a very valid point, it just didn't apply here.
Anyway, maybe the autofocus routine is tied to whatever puts the date and time on your shots. Maybe sometimes it looks at those pixels when it shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.